Saying No & Pushing Back
How to decline requests and renegotiate scope without burning bridges (用英文拒绝请求、协商 scope 而不烧桥)
Why "No" Is Hard for Asian Speakers (为什么"拒绝"对亚洲人特别难)
In Chinese workplaces, saying "no" directly can feel rude or career-limiting. In Western tech, never saying no is the bigger risk — it gets you overloaded, blamed for missed deadlines, and seen as someone with poor judgment.
在中国职场,直接说"不"会显得无礼或损害职业。在西方科技公司,**从不说"不"**才是更大的风险——会被压垮、被指责错过 deadline、被认为判断力差。
The principle 原则: You're not saying "no" to the person. You're saying "no" to the request, or "yes, but with tradeoffs."
你不是拒绝人。你是拒绝请求,或者说"好,但有取舍"。
Soft No (软拒绝)
When you want to decline gently and leave room.
想委婉拒绝并留余地时。
- "I'd love to help, but I'm slammed this week." — 我很想帮,但这周忙不过来。(slammed = 被砸=极忙)
- "That's not going to work for me right now." — 这对我现在不太行。
- "I don't think I can take that on right now." — 我现在恐怕接不下这个。
- "Let me get back to you on that." — 这事我再回复你。(给自己缓冲,不是答应)
- "That's outside my bandwidth this sprint." — 这超出我这个 sprint 的精力范围。(bandwidth = 带宽=精力)
Direct No (直接拒绝)
When clarity is more important than softness.
需要清晰而非委婉时。
- "I won't be able to do that." — 我没法做这个。
- "That's a no from me." — 我这边不行。
- "I can't commit to that timeline." — 这个时间我没法承诺。
- "That's not something I can take on." — 这不是我能接的事。
Saying No With a Reason (拒绝并说明理由)
Reasons make a "no" feel respectful, not arbitrary.
带理由的"不"显得尊重,而不是随意。
- "I can't take this on — I'm already at capacity with X and Y." — 我接不了——我已经被 X 和 Y 占满了。(at capacity = 满载)
- "I'd have to drop something else to fit this in. Which would you prioritize?" — 要塞进这个我得放下别的。你想先做哪个?
- "This conflicts with [other commitment]. Want to talk through tradeoffs?" — 这和 [其他承诺] 冲突。要聊聊取舍吗?
- "I'd be stretched too thin to do either well." — 两个都做我会顾不过来。(stretched too thin = 摊得太薄)
Renegotiating Scope (重新协商范围)
Instead of saying no, change the shape of "yes."
与其说"不",不如改变"是"的形状。
Trading scope for time (用范围换时间)
- "I can hit Friday if we cut feature Z. Or I can do all three by next Wednesday. Which works?" — 砍掉 Z 的话周五能搞定。或者全做完到下周三。哪个行?
- "What if we ship a v1 with X, and follow up with Y next sprint?" — 不如先发 v1 只带 X,下个 sprint 再加 Y?
- "Happy to do this, but it'll push back the migration. Is that OK?" — 我可以做,但会推迟迁移。可以吗?
Surfacing tradeoffs (摆出取舍)
- "To do this well, I'd need [resource/time]. Without that, here's what I can do..." — 做好这个需要 [资源/时间]。没有的话,我能做的是……
- "I can do A or B by Friday, but not both. Which is higher priority?" — 周五前我能做 A 或 B,不能两个都做。哪个优先级高?
- "Quick or correct — pick one." — 快或对——选一个。(用得很轻松,不算冒犯)
Asking for prioritization (请求重新排优先级)
- "My plate is full. If this goes in, what comes off?" — 我盘子满了。如果加这个,要拿掉什么?(plate = 盘子=待办量)
- "Help me prioritize — I have X, Y, Z all marked urgent." — 帮我排个序——我有 X、Y、Z 都标紧急。
- "Can we walk through my queue together and decide what slips?" — 我们能一起过一遍我的队列、决定哪个延后吗?
Pushing Back on Decisions (反驳决策)
When you think a decision is wrong, not just the workload.
不是工作量问题,而是觉得决策本身有问题。
- "I want to push back on this." — 我想反驳一下。(push back = 反推)
- "Before we commit, I have some concerns I'd like to raise." — 在我们承诺之前,我想提一些顾虑。
- "I see this differently — can we talk it through?" — 我看法不同——能聊一下吗?
- "Can we revisit this? I'm not sure it's the right call." — 我们能重新看看这个吗?我不确定这是对的决定。
- "I'd like to challenge the assumption that..." — 我想挑战一下"……"的假设。
Pushing Back on Unrealistic Deadlines (反推不现实的 deadline)
- "That timeline is going to be very tight. Want me to walk through what's involved?" — 那个时间会非常紧。要我说一下涉及哪些工作吗?
- "I want to be honest — that's not realistic. Here's what is..." — 我想直说——那不现实。现实的是……
- "I'd hate to commit to that and miss. Can we talk about a date I can actually hit?" — 我不想承诺了又赶不上。能聊一个我真能达到的日期吗?
- "To hit that date, I'd need [X, Y, Z]. Otherwise we should plan for [later date]." — 要赶上那个日期,我需要 [X、Y、Z]。否则应该按 [后面的日期] 规划。
Saying No to Your Manager (对老板说不)
Hardest case. Frame it as partnership, not refusal.
最难的场景。把它包装成协作,而不是拒绝。
- "I want to do this well — can we talk about what I'd deprioritize to fit it in?" — 我想把这个做好——能聊聊我要降低哪些事的优先级来塞进去吗?
- "I'm worried about over-committing. Can I share my current load?" — 我担心过度承诺。能让我说一下当前负担吗?
- "I trust your priorities — help me understand where this fits vs. X." — 我相信你的优先级——帮我理解这个相对于 X 排在哪里。
- "Let me come back tomorrow with a realistic plan." — 让我明天带一个现实的计划回来。
Saying No to Other Teams (对其他团队说不)
- "We won't be able to support that this quarter — but let's chat about Q3." — 我们这个季度支持不了——但可以聊聊 Q3。
- "That's not on our roadmap. If it's critical for you, escalate to [my manager]?" — 那不在我们的 roadmap 上。如果对你们关键,能升级到 [我经理] 吗?
- "We can do a small version of this, but not the full ask." — 我们能做一个小版本,但不是完整需求。
Saying No to Meetings (拒绝会议)
- "I don't think I'll add value to this one — happy to read the notes." — 我觉得我去也帮不上忙——看会议纪要就好。
- "Can I get a quick written summary instead?" — 能给我一份简短书面总结吗?
- "Conflicts with X — can someone send me a recap?" — 和 X 冲突——有人能给我个回顾吗?
- "Do you need me there, or is this FYI?" — 你需要我到场,还是只是知会?
When You Have to Say Yes (当你不得不答应时)
Sometimes "no" isn't an option. Make the cost visible.
有时不能说"不"。那就把代价摆出来。
- "OK, I'll take it on — flagging that this means X will slip." — 好,我接——但提一下这意味着 X 会延期。
- "Yes, with a caveat: I won't be able to also do Y." — 可以,但有个前提:我没法同时做 Y。
- "Sure — I'll need to reset expectations on the migration timeline." — 行——但迁移时间表的预期得重置一下。
- "Got it. For the record, this puts us at risk on the launch date." — 收到。但请记录在案:这让发布日期有风险。
Phrases to Avoid (要避免的表达)
| ❌ Avoid (避免) | Why (原因) | ✅ Better (更好) |
|---|---|---|
| "I'll try." | 听起来软弱、不可靠,而且没真说不 | "I can't commit to that, but here's what I can do." |
| "Maybe..." (when you mean no) | 给假希望,事后更难 | "Honest answer — probably not. But let me check." |
| "Sorry, sorry, I really can't, sorry..." | 过度道歉显得心虚 | "I won't be able to take that on." |
| "That's impossible." | 听起来对抗 | "That's not feasible in the current timeline because..." |
| "Why are you asking me?" | 听起来防御 | "I'm not the right owner for this — try [person]." |
| Silent agreement then missing | 最严重——损害信任 | 当场说"no"或"yes with conditions" |
Cultural Notes (文化提示)
"No" without a counter-offer is fine (拒绝不必带替代方案)
Asian habit: "I can't, but I'll find someone who can." That's nice but not required. A clean "no" is acceptable.
亚洲习惯:"我不行,但我帮你找人。"这很贴心但不是必须。干脆的"不"也可以。
Saying yes to everything is a red flag (什么都答应是红旗)
In Western tech, an engineer who never pushes back is seen as junior or lacking judgment. Selective "no" is a sign of seniority.
在西方科技公司,从不反推的工程师会被看作新人或缺乏判断。会选择性说"不"才是资深的标志。
"Disagree and commit" (不同意但执行)
Famous Amazon principle, widely adopted: push back hard, but once a decision is made, fully support it.
著名的亚马逊原则,被广泛采用:强力反推,但决定一旦做出,全力支持。
- "I disagreed in the discussion, but I'm committed to making it work." — 讨论时我反对了,但既然决定了,我全力支持。
Tone of voice matters (语气重要)
A "no" said with a smile and warm tone lands very differently than the same words flat. In Slack, emojis and exclamation points soften ("I can't take this on right now! 🙏 Want to chat about scope?").
笑着、暖语气说的"不"和平淡说出来效果天差地别。在 Slack 里,emoji 和叹号能软化。
Tips (小贴士)
- Say no fast — Slow no's are worse than fast no's. 拒绝要快,慢拒绝最伤人。
- Don't over-explain — One sentence reason is enough. Long justifications sound like guilt. 一句理由够了,长解释像心虚。
- Offer the next step — "Not me, but maybe X" or "not now, but maybe Q3." 给下一步建议。
- Practice in low-stakes situations first — Try it on small asks before big ones. 先在小事上练习。
- Track your yes's — If you can't list what you said yes to, you've said yes to too much. 列不出来 = 答应得太多。