Steven's Knowledge

Resignation, Farewell & Exit

How to leave a company gracefully in English (用英文得体地离职)

Why How You Leave Matters More Than How You Joined (为什么离职比入职更重要)

The tech industry is small. The senior engineer you ghosted today might be your hiring manager in 5 years. References, boomerangs, and reputation are formed by how you leave, not how you arrived.

科技圈很小。今天你 ghost 的资深工程师 5 年后可能是你的招聘经理。推荐信、回锅、声誉由你怎么离开塑造,不是怎么进来。

The principle 原则: Leave so that they'd hire you back. Even if you wouldn't go back.

离开时让他们愿意再招你。即使你不会回去。

Before the Resignation Conversation (辞职对话前)

Be sure (确定)

Don't resign to negotiate. If you'd stay for a counter-offer, negotiate before resigning. Resignations that get rescinded usually still end in departure within 6 months — and the trust is broken.

不要为了谈判而辞职。如果 counter-offer 你会留,在辞职前谈。撤回的辞职通常 6 个月内还是会离——但信任已经断了。

Get the offer in writing (拿到书面 offer)

Don't resign on a verbal offer. Wait for the signed letter, written start date, and any contingencies (background check, references) cleared.

不要靠口头 offer 辞职。等签字 offer letter、确认入职日期、所有条件(背景调查、推荐信)通过。

Plan the timing (计划时机)

Standard notice in tech: 2 weeks in US (some companies expect 3-4 for senior roles). UK: typically 1 month by contract. EU varies wildly.

科技行业标准 notice:美国 2 周(有些公司高级岗位希望 3-4 周)。英国合同里通常 1 个月。欧洲差异很大。

Check your contract. Don't promise more or less than you'll actually do.

看合同。不要承诺比实际做的多或少。

The Resignation Conversation (辞职对话)

Tell your manager first (先告诉你的经理)

Always face-to-face / video, never Slack or email. Before anyone else knows.

总是当面/视频,永不要 Slack 或邮件。在任何其他人知道之前

Setup (铺垫)

  • "Got 15 minutes today? I want to talk about something important." — 今天有 15 分钟吗?我想谈件重要的事。
  • "Could we find a private room?" — 能找个私密的地方吗?

The opener (开场)

Be direct. Don't bury the lede.

直接。不要绕。

  • "I want to let you know I've decided to leave [Company]. I've accepted an offer at [new company]." — 我想告诉你我决定离开 [公司]。我接受了 [新公司] 的 offer。
  • "This was a hard decision, and I want to talk about how to make the transition smooth." — 这是个艰难的决定,我想谈谈如何让交接顺利。

After the news (说完之后)

  • "My last day will be [date], giving [N weeks] notice." — 最后一天是 [日期],给 [N 周] 通知。
  • "I've really valued my time here, especially [specific thing]." — 我很珍惜在这里的时间,尤其是 [具体的事]。
  • "I want to make this transition as smooth as possible. Happy to work with you on a handoff plan." — 我想让交接尽可能顺利。愿意和你一起做交接计划。

When They Ask Why (当他们问为什么)

Be honest but strategic. You don't owe a full explanation. Don't burn bridges with venting.

诚实但有策略。你不欠完整解释。不要靠吐槽烧桥。

Good framings (好的包装)

  • "It was a great opportunity I couldn't pass up — different domain / scope / company stage." — 这是个很难拒绝的机会——不同领域/范围/公司阶段。
  • "It was time for a new challenge. I'm proud of what we built here." — 该换新挑战了。我为这里建造的东西自豪。
  • "The new role is closer to what I want long-term." — 新角色更接近我长期想做的。
  • "It was a hard call — many things I'll miss. But this is right for me right now." — 是个艰难的决定——很多东西我会怀念。但这对现在的我是对的。

What to avoid (避免)

❌ "My manager is bad." — 即使是真的,烧桥。 ❌ "Compensation here is low." — 当面说像在催 counter-offer。 ❌ "I'm burned out." — 应该已经早就讨论过。 ❌ Trash-talking team / org / strategy. — 短期解气,长期损己。

If you must give a critical reason, frame it about fit, not fault:

如果必须给批评性原因,包装成契合,不是过错

  • "The fit isn't quite right for what I want next." — 契合度不太符合我接下来想要的。
  • "I want to grow in [area], and that's not the team's direction." — 我想在 [领域] 成长,这不是团队方向。

Handling Counter-Offers (处理 counter-offer)

If they make a counter-offer:

如果他们给 counter-offer:

Phrases (短语)

  • "I appreciate that — let me think about it overnight." — 谢谢——让我想一晚上。
  • "That's generous, but I want to be honest — I think the move is right for reasons beyond comp." — 这很慷慨,但我想坦诚——这次离开除了待遇还有其他原因。
  • "If I take the counter, I want to understand what's changing — not just comp, but also [growth / scope / direction]." — 如果接 counter,我想理解什么会变——不只是待遇,还有 [成长/范围/方向]。

Reality check (现实考虑)

Industry data: 70-80% of people who accept counter-offers leave within a year anyway. Once you've signaled you're a flight risk, trust shifts. Decide accordingly.

行业数据:接 counter-offer 的人 70-80% 还是在一年内离开。一旦你显示是流失风险,信任就变了。相应决定。

During the Notice Period (Notice 期间)

Stay engaged (保持投入)

Don't check out. The last 2 weeks are when reputation crystalizes. Going visibly half-speed undoes years of good work in many people's memory.

不要划水。最后 2 周是声誉定型时。明显划水会在很多人记忆里抹掉你过去几年的好工作。

Handoff document (交接文档)

Write one. Even if not asked. Cover:

写一份。即使没人要求。涵盖:

# [Your name] handoff — last day [date]

## Active projects
- Project X: status [Y%], next steps [...], owner after me [Alice]
- Project Y: ...

## Recurring responsibilities
- Lead the weekly platform sync — handing to Bob
- On-call rotation — talked to ops, removed from rotation [date]

## Knowledge / context
- Why we built [system] this way: [link to design doc]
- Customer relationship: [contact list, history]
- Recurring traps: [things future maintainer will hit]

## Open relationships / external contacts
- [external person] at [team]: working on [shared project]; intro'd to Alice

## Personal accounts to remove
- [list of accounts I have admin on]

Phrases for handoff (交接用语)

  • "I want to set you up to succeed — what would help most?" — 我想让你顺利接上——什么最有帮助?
  • "Want to spend time on the parts you're least familiar with." — 想多花时间在你最不熟的部分。
  • "Adding you as primary on [thing] — I'll be backup until my last day." — 把你设为 [东西] 的主负责人——最后一天前我做备份。

What NOT to do (不要做的)

❌ "Quiet quitting" the last 2 weeks. — 划水。 ❌ Bad-mouthing the company on the way out. — 烧桥。 ❌ Taking confidential data / code / customer info. — 法律风险。 ❌ Recruiting your old team to your new company aggressively. — 关系作弊。 ❌ Slacking off on the handoff doc. — 反映你的专业度。

The Farewell Email (告别邮件)

Standard practice: send a farewell email on your last day to your team / org / company.

标准做法:最后一天给团队/组织/公司发告别邮件。

Template (模板)

Subject: So long, and thanks for everything

Hi all,

Today is my last day at [Company]. After [N years/months], I'm moving on
to [optional: brief, neutral mention of next thing — "to a new role" is
enough if you don't want to name it].

It's been a privilege to work with so many of you. Some highlights I'll
carry with me:

- Shipping [project] alongside [team]
- Watching [team] grow from [X] to [Y]
- Learning more than I could have hoped about [topic]

To my direct team — Alice, Bob, Carol, Dave: thank you. You made me
better.

I'd love to stay in touch. Reach me anytime at [personal email] and
[LinkedIn URL].

Wishing you all the best.

[Name]

Tone notes (语气提示)

  • Warm but not maudlin. Avoid heavy emotion or long emotional lists.
  • **温暖但不煽情。**避免重情绪或长情绪列表。
  • Specific gratitude beats generic. Naming people who mattered is meaningful.
  • **具体感谢 > 笼统。**点名重要的人有意义。
  • Don't badmouth or hint at problems. Even between the lines.
  • **不要诋毁或暗示问题。**字里行间也不行。
  • Don't oversell the new role. No "I'm SO excited about my new ADVENTURE 🚀🚀🚀."
  • 不要过度推销新角色。

Length (长度)

For a small team you've been on for years: a few paragraphs. For a large org or short tenure: shorter is fine — 5-10 sentences.

久待小团队:几段。 大组织或短期:更短即可——5-10 句。

The Exit Interview (离职面谈)

HR usually asks for one. Be honest but strategic. Don't burn bridges with grievances; do flag systemic issues that might help others.

HR 通常会约。诚实但有策略。不要靠抱怨烧桥;可以标记可能帮助别人的系统性问题。

What's safe to share (可以分享的)

  • Career growth limitations ("there wasn't a clear path to senior"). — 职业成长限制。
  • Specific process issues ("the on-call rotation is unsustainable"). — 具体流程问题。
  • Team-level concerns, framed constructively. — 团队层面的顾虑,建设性。
  • Things that worked well. (Make sure to share these too.) — 做得好的地方。

What to handle carefully (要小心处理的)

  • Specific people — naming someone as the reason is permanent and often unfair to them.
  • 具体人——点名某人作为原因是永久性的,对他们也常常不公。
  • Confidential strategy critique — your peers may still be there.
  • 机密战略批评——你的同事还在。
  • Anything you'd be embarrassed to see leaked. Treat exit notes as if they could.
  • **任何你会羞于看到泄露的事。**当作可能会泄露来对待。

Phrases (短语)

  • "Honest answer: [issue]. I want to flag it because it might help others." — 老实说:[问题]。我标记一下因为可能帮到别人。
  • "I'm not here to vent — but I want to be useful." — 我不是来吐槽——但想有用。
  • "Things that worked: [...]. Things that could be better: [...]." — 做得好的:[…]。可以更好的:[…]。

Telling Your Team (告诉团队)

Coordinate with your manager on the timing. Usually:

和经理协调时机。通常:

  1. Tell your manager.
  2. Manager helps you tell skip-level + close peers.
  3. Team-wide announcement (sometimes by manager, sometimes by you).
  4. Wider org / company announcement if relevant.

Phrases for telling teammates (告诉同事)

  • "Wanted to tell you 1:1 before the announcement — I'm leaving [Company] in [N weeks]." — 想在宣布前 1:1 告诉你——我 [N 周] 后离开。
  • "This is hard to share — really enjoyed working with you." — 难说出口——真的很享受和你共事。
  • "I'd love to stay in touch — let's grab coffee before my last day." — 希望保持联系——最后一天前喝杯咖啡。

When teammates are upset (同事难过时)

  • "I get it — I'm going to miss this team a lot." — 我懂——我会非常想念这个团队。
  • "Thanks for that. Means a lot." — 谢谢这么说。意义重大。
  • "This isn't a reflection on the team — this is about my next chapter." — 这不是因为团队——是关于我的下个篇章。

Staying in Touch (保持联系)

Before you leave:

离开前:

  • Add everyone you valued to LinkedIn. Not just close colleagues — managers, skip-levels, cross-functional partners.
  • 加 LinkedIn——不只是亲近的同事——经理、隔级、跨职能搭档。
  • Save personal emails / contacts. Your work email goes dark on day +1.
  • **保存个人邮箱/联系方式。**工作邮箱第二天就停。
  • Send a few personal goodbye notes to people who mattered most. More meaningful than the team email.
  • **给最重要的人发几封个人告别。**比团队邮件更有意义。

Personal goodbye message (个人告别)

Hey Alice,

Wanted to send a more personal note before I disappear off Slack tomorrow.

Working with you on the auth migration was one of the best parts of my
time here. I learned a lot from how you handled [specific thing] — I'll
take that with me.

Let's stay in touch. My personal email is [email]; LinkedIn here: [link].
Coffee on me next time we're in the same city.

— [Name]

After You've Left (离开之后)

First 30 days at the new place (新地方前 30 天)

  • Don't badmouth your old company to new colleagues. They're forming an opinion of you.
  • 不要在新同事面前说旧公司坏话。他们在判断
  • Don't recruit your old team aggressively. A casual "hey, you should consider [new place]" is fine; cold-poaching is not.
  • **不要积极挖旧团队。**随口提一下没事;冷挖人不行。
  • Don't share confidential context from your old company.
  • 不要分享旧公司机密。

Long-term relationship maintenance (长期关系维护)

  • A "hey, hope you're well" message once a year keeps a relationship alive.
  • 每年一次"嘿,希望你还好"维持关系。
  • Send congratulations when old colleagues get promoted, change jobs, ship things.
  • 旧同事升职、换工作、发布东西时发祝贺。
  • Show up for the LinkedIn post or anniversary mention.
  • 在 LinkedIn 发布或周年时露面。

Phrases to Avoid (要避免的表达)

❌ Avoid (避免)Why (原因)✅ Better (更好)
Resigning by Slack / email不专业,关系破裂Live conversation first.
"I hate this place." (in farewell or exit)烧桥"It's time for a new chapter."
"Sorry to leave you in a tough spot." (overdoing)让对方安慰你"Want to make sure the handoff is solid — what helps?"
"Don't tell anyone yet." (after telling teammates)信息会泄露Coordinate with manager on rollout.
Quiet quitting last 2 weeks抹掉积累的好印象Stay engaged through the last day.
Bad-mouthing on the way out短期解气Handle privately; let actions speak.

Cultural Notes (文化提示)

Resignation is a one-way door (辞职是单向门)

In most Western tech, you don't really get to "take it back." Even if your manager begs you to stay, the relationship has shifted. Be sure before you tell.

在大多数西方科技公司,辞职基本不可逆。即使经理求你留,关系也变了。确定再说。

Ghosting is career suicide (ghost 是职业自杀)

Disappearing — not showing up to handoff meetings, not responding to handoff Slacks, leaving without a farewell — is remembered for years. Industry is small. Don't.

消失——不参加交接会、不回复交接 Slack、走前不告别——会被记很多年。行业很小。不要。

Don't badmouth even with close friends from work (即使跟工作中的密友也不要诋毁)

Things you say to "trusted" colleagues get repeated. Imagine your worst exit comment showing up in a 3-years-later conversation with your future hiring manager. Calibrate accordingly.

跟"信任"同事说的话会被传出去。想象你最糟的离职评论 3 年后出现在和未来招聘经理的对话里。相应校准。

Boomerangs are normal (回锅是常态)

In US tech, returning to a former employer after 2-3 years elsewhere is common and often welcomed. Leaving well is the prerequisite.

在美国科技公司,2-3 年后回前雇主很常见且常被欢迎。好好离开是前提。

Different countries, different customs (国家差异)

  • US: 2 weeks notice standard, sometimes shorter. Rapid offboarding.
  • UK: 1 month notice typical by contract, sometimes 3 months for senior.
  • Germany / France / EU: often 3-6 months by contract; "garden leave" common.
  • Asia (varies): 1-2 months typical; less rigid handoff culture.

Always check your contract first.

总是先看合同。

Tips (小贴士)

  • Tell your manager first, in person/video — Never via Slack. 经理优先,当面或视频。
  • Resign with the offer signed, not promised — No verbal-only resignations. 拿到签字 offer 再辞。
  • Stay engaged through your last day — Reputation crystalizes here. 最后一天前保持投入。
  • Write the handoff doc — Even if not asked. 写交接文档。
  • Send a warm farewell email — Specific gratitude beats generic. 发暖心告别邮件。
  • Add people on LinkedIn before you lose access — Industry is small. 离开前在 LinkedIn 加人。
  • Don't badmouth on the way out — Even when justified. 走的时候不诋毁。

On this page

Why How You Leave Matters More Than How You Joined (为什么离职比入职更重要)Before the Resignation Conversation (辞职对话前)Be sure (确定)Get the offer in writing (拿到书面 offer)Plan the timing (计划时机)The Resignation Conversation (辞职对话)Tell your manager first (先告诉你的经理)Setup (铺垫)The opener (开场)After the news (说完之后)When They Ask Why (当他们问为什么)Good framings (好的包装)What to avoid (避免)Handling Counter-Offers (处理 counter-offer)Phrases (短语)Reality check (现实考虑)During the Notice Period (Notice 期间)Stay engaged (保持投入)Handoff document (交接文档)Phrases for handoff (交接用语)What NOT to do (不要做的)The Farewell Email (告别邮件)Template (模板)Tone notes (语气提示)Length (长度)The Exit Interview (离职面谈)What's safe to share (可以分享的)What to handle carefully (要小心处理的)Phrases (短语)Telling Your Team (告诉团队)Phrases for telling teammates (告诉同事)When teammates are upset (同事难过时)Staying in Touch (保持联系)Personal goodbye message (个人告别)After You've Left (离开之后)First 30 days at the new place (新地方前 30 天)Long-term relationship maintenance (长期关系维护)Phrases to Avoid (要避免的表达)Cultural Notes (文化提示)Resignation is a one-way door (辞职是单向门)Ghosting is career suicide (ghost 是职业自杀)Don't badmouth even with close friends from work (即使跟工作中的密友也不要诋毁)Boomerangs are normal (回锅是常态)Different countries, different customs (国家差异)Tips (小贴士)