Steven's Knowledge

1:1 Meetings

English expressions for one-on-one conversations between manager and report (一对一沟通的英文表达)

Setting the Tone (定调)

A 1:1 should feel safe, honest, and personal — not like a status report. The manager's job is to listen, not interrogate.

1:1 应该让人感到安全、真诚、私人——而不是一份进度报告。经理的任务是倾听,不是审问。

Opening a 1:1 (开场)

Manager opening (经理开场)

  • "Hey, how have you been?" — 嘿,最近怎么样?
  • "How are things going?" — 一切都还好吗?
  • "What's on your mind today?" — 今天想聊什么?
  • "What would be most useful to talk about today?" — 今天聊什么对你最有帮助?
  • "This is your time — anywhere you want to start?" — 这是你的时间——想从哪里开始?

Reportee opening (下属开场)

  • "There's a few things I wanted to bring up." — 我有几件事想聊。
  • "I've been thinking about X lately." — 我最近一直在想 X。
  • "Could I get your advice on something?" — 能找你聊点事征求建议吗?

Talking About Work (聊工作)

Sharing progress (分享进展)

  • "I've been making good progress on X." — 我在 X 上进展不错。
  • "I'm feeling stretched right now." — 我现在感觉有点忙不过来。(stretched = 被拉伸 / 超负荷)
  • "I have a lot on my plate." — 我手头任务很多。
  • "I'm not sure how to prioritize X vs Y." — 我不确定 X 和 Y 哪个优先。

Asking for support (寻求支持)

  • "Could I get your help with X?" — 你能在 X 上帮我一下吗?
  • "I'd love your input on this." — 我想听听你的意见。
  • "I'm stuck on X — can we talk through it?" — 我在 X 上卡住了——能一起聊聊吗?
  • "How would you approach this?" — 你会怎么处理?

Raising concerns (提出顾虑)

  • "I wanted to flag something." — 我想提一下一件事。(flag = 标记 / 提醒)
  • "Something's been bothering me." — 有件事一直困扰我。
  • "I've noticed a pattern that concerns me." — 我注意到一个让我担心的现象。
  • "I want to be transparent about..." — 我想坦诚地说……

Talking About Career (聊职业发展)

Manager asking (经理提问)

  • "Where do you see yourself in a year?" — 一年后你想做什么?
  • "What would you like to grow in?" — 你想在哪些方面成长?
  • "What kind of work energizes you?" — 什么样的工作让你有动力?
  • "What kind of work drains you?" — 什么样的工作让你疲惫?
  • "Are you happy with how you're spending your time?" — 你对自己时间的分配满意吗?

Reportee answering (下属回答)

  • "I'd like to take on more X." — 我想多做一些 X。
  • "I want to grow toward [role / skill]." — 我想向 [岗位 / 技能] 方向发展。
  • "I feel like I'm plateauing in X." — 我感觉在 X 上陷入了瓶颈。(plateau = 进入平台期)
  • "I want to be considered for the next promotion cycle." — 我希望在下一轮晋升时被考虑。

Giving and Receiving Feedback (反馈)

Manager giving feedback (经理给反馈)

  • "I have some feedback I'd like to share." — 我有一些反馈想分享。
  • "Something I noticed lately..." — 我最近注意到的事情……
  • "One thing that's been working really well is..." — 有一件事进展很好……
  • "One area to grow in is..." — 一个可以成长的方向是……
  • "How does that land with you?" — 你听了感觉如何?(land = 落地 / 听起来)

Reportee giving feedback to manager (下属给经理反馈)

This takes courage. Frame it as helpful, not as complaint.

这需要勇气。用 "帮助" 的角度,而不是 "投诉" 的角度。

  • "There's something I'd like to share with you, if that's okay." — 我想跟你说一件事,可以吗?
  • "I think it would help me if you..." — 如果你能 …… 会对我有帮助。
  • "I've been struggling with X — could we adjust how we...?" — 我在 X 上有困难——我们能不能调整……?
  • "I appreciate you doing X — it really helps." — 我很感激你做 X——这真的有帮助。

(详见 Giving Feedback 章节)

Talking About Personal Life (聊个人生活)

A good 1:1 acknowledges that people are humans, not just employees. But respect boundaries.

好的 1:1 会承认员工首先是人,但也要尊重边界。

  • "How's life outside work?" — 工作之外生活怎么样?
  • "Anything going on outside work I should know about?" — 工作外有什么需要我知道的吗?
  • "I just want to check in — are you doing okay?" — 我就想问问——你还好吗?
  • "No pressure to share, but I'm here if you want to." — 不一定要说,但需要的话我都在。

Discussing Compensation / Promotion (聊薪酬 / 晋升)

This is often awkward. Be direct but professional.

这种话题常常尴尬。要直接但专业。

Reportee bringing it up (下属提起)

  • "I'd like to talk about compensation when you have a moment." — 你有空时我想聊聊薪酬。
  • "Can we discuss the path to [next level]?" — 我们能聊聊到 [下一级] 的路径吗?
  • "What would I need to demonstrate to be promoted?" — 我需要展现什么才能被晋升?
  • "Where do I stand for the next promotion cycle?" — 在下一轮晋升中我处于什么位置?

Manager response (经理回应)

  • "That's a fair question. Let me share what I'm seeing." — 这是个合理的问题。让我说说我看到的。
  • "Here's what I'd want to see before that conversation." — 在那个讨论之前,我想看到这些……
  • "Let me check on the timing and get back to you." — 让我了解一下时间安排再回复你。

Difficult Conversations (难对话)

Performance concerns (绩效顾虑)

  • "I want to be honest with you about something I've been seeing." — 我想坦诚跟你聊聊我观察到的一些情况。
  • "This isn't easy to share, but it's important." — 这不容易说出口,但很重要。
  • "I'm not where I'd want you to be on X." — 在 X 上你的状态没有达到我期望的位置。

Burnout / Mental health (倦怠 / 心理健康)

  • "You don't seem like yourself lately. Want to talk about it?" — 你最近看起来不太对劲。想聊聊吗?
  • "It's okay to take time off." — 请假休息是可以的。
  • "Your wellbeing comes first." — 你的健康是第一位的。

Conflict with a teammate (与同事的冲突)

  • "How are things with [teammate]?" — 和 [同事] 之间怎么样?
  • "I'd love to understand your side of what happened." — 我想了解一下你那边的情况。
  • "What would help resolve this?" — 怎么样才能解决这件事?

Wrapping Up a 1:1 (收尾)

  • "Anything else on your mind before we wrap?" — 结束前还有什么想聊的吗?
  • "What's one thing you'd like me to follow up on?" — 你希望我跟进哪一件事?
  • "Thanks for being open about that." — 谢谢你这么坦诚。
  • "This was a good conversation." — 这次聊得很好。
  • "Same time next week?" — 下周同一时间?

Common 1:1 Vocabulary (常用词汇)

EnglishChinese
Manager / Lead经理 / 主管
Direct report / Reportee直接下属
ICindividual contributor 一线工程师
Career ladder职级体系
Promotion晋升
Performance review绩效评估
PIPperformance improvement plan 绩效改进计划
Bandwidth精力 / 工作余量
Burnout职业倦怠
Plateau平台期
Stretch goal挑战性目标
Mentorship师徒辅导

Tips (小贴士)

  • Listen 70%, talk 30% — As a manager, your default mode is listening. 经理在 1:1 中应该多听少说。
  • Don't make it status updates — That's what standup is for. 1:1 不是进度汇报,那是站会的事。
  • Take notes, follow up — Nothing kills trust faster than forgetting what someone shared. 做笔记并跟进,比什么都重要。
  • Keep it consistent — Skipping 1:1s sends the message that they don't matter. 别取消 1:1,否则等于告诉对方"你不重要"。
  • The reportee owns the agenda — It's their time. 议程由下属决定。

On this page