Networking & Coffee Chats
How to build relationships across the company in English (用英文在公司内建立关系)
Why Networking Matters Inside a Company (为什么公司内 networking 重要)
In Western tech, promotions and opportunities are influenced by who knows your name. Skill alone isn't enough — visibility across teams matters. "Coffee chats" (15-30 min informal meetings) are the standard tool.
在西方科技公司,晋升和机会受谁知道你名字的影响。光有技能不够——跨团队的可见度也重要。"Coffee chat"(15-30 分钟非正式会面)是标准工具。
The principle 原则: Your network determines what opportunities reach you. Build it before you need it.
你的人脉决定有什么机会能找到你。在需要之前就建立。
Asking for a Coffee Chat (约 coffee chat)
Cold ask (主动约不熟的人)
- "Hi [name] — I've been following your work on X. Would you be open to a 20 min coffee chat sometime?" — 你好——我一直在关注你做的 X。有空约个 20 分钟的 coffee chat 吗?
- "Hey, [mutual] suggested I reach out. I'd love to learn about [team/work]. Free for a quick chat?" — 嘿,[共同认识的人] 建议我联系你。我想了解 [团队/工作]。有空快速聊一下吗?
- "I'm new to [team/role] and trying to learn the lay of the land. Could I steal 15 min?" — 我是 [团队/岗位] 的新人,在了解情况。能借 15 分钟吗?(lay of the land = 地形=情况)
Warm ask (约认识的人)
- "Long time no chat — coffee this week?" — 好久没聊了——这周喝杯咖啡?
- "Want to catch up properly? Got 30 min sometime?" — 想好好叙叙?什么时候有 30 分钟?
- "I'd love your brain on something. Got time for a coffee?" — 想借你大脑一用。有空喝个咖啡吗?
Specifying purpose (说明目的)
People are more likely to say yes when they know why.
知道原因别人更可能答应。
- "Want to pick your brain about [topic]." — 想借你大脑聊聊 [话题]。(pick your brain = 借大脑)
- "Trying to learn how [team] approaches X — would value your perspective." — 想了解 [团队] 怎么处理 X——想听听你的看法。
- "Curious about your career path — you've moved through interesting roles." — 对你的职业路径很好奇——你做过有意思的角色。
Making the Ask Easy to Say Yes To (让对方容易答应)
-
Keep it short — 15-30 min, not an hour.
-
Suggest specific times — "Tuesday or Thursday afternoon?" beats "when works for you?"
-
Offer their format — "Coffee, walk, or video call — your preference."
-
Make it low stakes — "No agenda, just want to connect."
-
保持简短 — 15-30 分钟,不是一小时。
-
建议具体时间 — "周二或周四下午?" 比 "你什么时候方便?" 好。
-
给他们选格式 — "咖啡、散步、还是视频——你定。"
-
降低压力 — "没有 agenda,就是想认识一下。"
Opening Coffee Chats (coffee chat 开场)
Breaking the ice (破冰)
- "Thanks for making time! How's your week going?" — 谢谢抽时间!这周怎么样?
- "Glad we finally got this on the calendar. How are things on your team?" — 终于约上了。你团队最近怎么样?
- "Before we dive in — how have you been?" — 先聊一下——你最近还好吗?
Setting the agenda (定一下话题)
- "Quick context on why I wanted to chat..." — 快速说一下为什么想聊……
- "What I'm hoping to get out of this is..." — 我希望从这次聊天得到的是……
- "No real agenda — just want to learn about your work and share what I'm up to." — 没什么固定话题——就想了解你的工作,也分享一下我在做什么。
Good Questions to Ask (好的问题)
The best coffee chats are 70% them talking, 30% you.
最好的 coffee chat 是对方说 70%,你说 30%。
About their work (关于他们的工作)
- "What are you working on these days?" — 你最近在做什么?
- "What's the most interesting problem your team is tackling?" — 你们团队在解决的最有意思的问题是什么?
- "What's something most people don't know about [their team/area]?" — 大多数人不了解 [他们的团队/领域] 的什么?
About their career (关于他们的职业)
- "How did you end up in this role?" — 你是怎么走到这个岗位的?
- "What's been the most surprising thing about working here?" — 在这里工作最让你意外的是什么?
- "What would you tell your past self at my level?" — 你会对在我这个级别的过去的自己说什么?
Asking for advice (请教建议)
- "I'm thinking about [decision]. What would you do?" — 我在想 [决定]。你会怎么做?
- "What's something you wish you'd done earlier in your career?" — 你职业早期希望自己做得更早的事是什么?
- "How do you decide what to say no to?" — 你怎么决定拒绝什么?
Building bridge to follow-up (为后续铺垫)
- "Who else should I be talking to about this?" — 关于这个我还该和谁聊?
- "Anyone you'd recommend I get to know?" — 你建议我认识谁?
- "Mind if I follow up if I have more questions later?" — 之后还有问题能再联系你吗?
Talking About Your Own Work (聊你自己的工作)
When asked "what are you working on?", have a 30-second pitch ready.
被问"你在做什么"时,准备一个 30 秒说清 的 pitch。
Structure (结构)
What: I'm on the [team], working on [project].
Why it matters: It [business value / user impact].
What I do specifically: I [your role].
What's interesting now: [current challenge or upcoming launch].Example (例子)
"I'm on the platform team, building the new identity service. It's the layer that handles auth for all our consumer products — affects every login. I'm leading the migration from the old service. Right now the interesting part is figuring out how to do it without any user-visible downtime."
Closing the Chat (结束聊天)
Wrapping up (收尾)
- "This was great — really appreciate the time." — 聊得很好——非常感谢抽时间。
- "I learned a lot. Thanks for being so open." — 学到了很多。谢谢你这么开放。
- "Want to do this again in a few months?" — 几个月后再约一次?
- "Anything I can help you with?" — 我有什么能帮你的?
Concrete follow-up (具体后续)
- "I'll send over the doc I mentioned." — 我会把提到的文档发你。
- "Let me intro you to [person] who's working on something similar." — 我把你介绍给 [某人],他在做类似的事。
- "I'll Slack you that article." — 我 Slack 你那篇文章。
After the Chat: Follow-Up (chat 之后跟进)
Same day (当天)
- "Thanks again for the chat today! Here's [the doc/intro/link] I promised." — 再次感谢今天的对话!这是我承诺的 [文档/介绍/链接]。
- "Really enjoyed our conversation — [specific thing they said] stuck with me." — 很享受我们的对话——[他们说的具体东西] 让我印象深刻。
Stay in touch (保持联系)
- "Saw this article and thought of you." — 看到这篇文章想到你。
- "Heard about [their project launch] — congrats!" — 听说 [他们的项目发布] ——恭喜!
- "Want to grab coffee again? Been a while." — 再约杯咖啡?有阵子没聊了。
Building a Network Strategically (有策略地建立人脉)
Who to chat with (和谁聊)
- People one or two levels above you — career advice, scope expansion. 比你高 1-2 级的人。
- People on adjacent teams — context, future collaboration. 相邻团队的人。
- People in roles you might want — informational interviews. 你将来可能想做的岗位的人。
- Your skip-level (manager's manager) — every 6 months minimum. 你老板的老板。
- New hires on your team — pay it forward. 团队新人。
Cadence (节奏)
- 2 coffee chats per month is a sustainable, high-value baseline.
- 每月 2 次 coffee chat 是可持续、高价值的基线。
- Skip-level: every 6 months at minimum.
- 隔级:至少每 6 个月一次。
Networking at Events (活动上的 networking)
Approaching strangers (接近陌生人)
- "Mind if I join?" (at a group) — 介意我加入吗?
- "I don't think we've met — I'm [name], on the [team]." — 我们应该没见过——我是 [名字],[团队] 的。
- "What brings you to this talk/event?" — 什么把你带到这个演讲/活动?
Group conversations (群体对话)
- "What do you all think about X?" — 你们怎么看 X?
- "I'd be curious to hear other perspectives on this." — 我想听听其他人的看法。
Exiting gracefully (得体退出)
- "Great chatting — I'm going to grab some food, but let's connect later." — 聊得很好——我去拿点吃的,回头再聊。
- "I want to let you mingle — really enjoyed this." — 我让你去认识别人——这次聊得很愉快。
- "Mind if I grab your contact? Would love to chat again sometime." — 能加个联系方式吗?想再聊。
Phrases to Avoid (要避免的表达)
| ❌ Avoid (避免) | Why (原因) | ✅ Better (更好) |
|---|---|---|
| "Sorry to bother you, I know you're so busy..." | 显得卑微 | "Got 20 min sometime this week?" |
| "I don't really have anything to say..." | 自我贬低 | Just talk about your work — they asked. |
| "Can you help me get promoted?" | 直接求情显得 transactional | "I'd value your perspective on [growth question]." |
| "Tell me everything about your job." | 太宽泛 | One specific question at a time. |
| Going silent after the chat | 浪费了关系 | Send a thank-you, stay in touch. |
Cultural Notes (文化提示)
Networking is not transactional (networking 不是交易)
The mindset that works: be curious, be helpful, be patient. You build relationships for years, then call on them when needed. Calling on a relationship you haven't tended is what feels gross.
有效的心态:好奇、乐于助人、耐心。关系养几年,需要时再用。没养过的关系突然要用才让人反感。
"Coffee chat" doesn't require coffee (coffee chat 不一定喝咖啡)
It's just shorthand for "informal short meeting." Walking, video, or actually coffee — all fine.
只是"非正式短会"的代称。散步、视频、真喝咖啡——都行。
Pay it forward (付出)
When juniors ask you for coffee chats, say yes when you can. It's part of the culture and people remember.
当新人来约 你 coffee chat,能答应就答应。这是文化的一部分,别人会记得。
Don't only network when you need something (不要只在需要时 networking)
Reaching out only when looking for a job, intro, or favor is transparent and off-putting. Build the relationship first.
只在找工作、要介绍、求帮忙时联系,很明显也让人反感。先把关系建好。
LinkedIn matters (LinkedIn 重要)
In Western tech, add people on LinkedIn after meeting them. It keeps the connection alive even after one of you changes jobs.
在西方科技圈,见过面后加 LinkedIn。即使有人换工作,关系也还在。
Tips (小贴士)
- Block time for it — Calendar 1-2 chats a week or it doesn't happen. 日历上预留时间。
- Be specific about why you reached out — Vague asks get vague replies. 说清楚为什么联系。
- 70% listening, 30% talking — Best chats are mostly them. 70% 听,30% 说。
- Follow up, always — A short thank-you cements the connection. 总是跟进。
- Don't keep score — Help freely; the karma comes back. 不要算账,帮忙就帮忙。