Mentoring & Coaching Juniors
How to mentor, coach, and guide juniors in English (用英文指导、辅导新人)
Why Mentoring Is a Promotion Lever (为什么辅导是晋升杠杆)
In most leveling rubrics, scope matters more than individual technical chops above mid-level. The fastest way to grow scope is to multiply yourself — make others better. Mentoring isn't optional for senior+ engineers; it's the path.
在大多数级别标准里,超过中级后范围比个人技术更重要。扩大范围最快的方式是放大自己——让别人变得更好。对资深以上工程师来说,辅导不是可选——是路径。
The principle 原则: Don't give answers; ask questions that help them find the answer. They learn faster, and you scale.
不要给答案;问让他们找到答案的问题。他们学得更快,你也能 scale。
The First Pairing Session (第一次结对)
Setting expectations (定预期)
- "Quick framing — I'm not going to fix this for you. I'll ask questions and let you drive." — 快速说一下——我不会帮你修。我会问问题,让你来推进。
- "My goal is for you to be able to handle this kind of thing without me next time." — 我的目标是下次你能独立处理这类事。
- "Stop me anytime to ask questions — even basic ones." — 随时打断我提问——基础的也行。
- "I want to hear what you're thinking, not just what you're typing." — 我想听你在想什么,不只是看你打什么。
When you take over (when sometimes you have to drive) (你接手时)
- "Mind if I drive for a sec to show you something?" — 介意我开几分钟给你看个东西吗?
- "Watch what I do — I'll narrate." — 看我做什么——我会解说。
- "Now you try it from scratch." — 现在你从头试一遍。
Asking Socratic Questions (用苏格拉底式提问)
Resist the urge to answer. Ask the question that makes the answer obvious to them.
抑制给答案的冲动。问让他们自己看出答案的问题。
Diagnostic questions (诊断性问题)
- "What did you try?" — 你试了什么?
- "What did you expect to happen vs. what happened?" — 你预期发生什么 vs. 实际发生什么?
- "What does the error message tell you?" — 错误信息告诉你什么?
- "Where in the code do you think the issue is?" — 你觉得问题在代码哪里?
- "What changes recently — what's different from when it worked?" — 最近什么变了——和能用时有什么不同?
Design / decision questions (设计 / 决策类问题)
- "What are the tradeoffs you're weighing?" — 你在权衡什么取舍?
- "What would the simplest version look like?" — 最简单的版本是什么样?
- "What breaks if you do it this way?" — 这样做会有什么坏?
- "Who else does this affect — have you talked to them?" — 还影响谁——你跟他们聊过吗?
- "How would you explain this decision in the design doc?" — 你会怎么在设计文档里解释这个决定?
When they're stuck (当他们卡住时)
- "Where exactly are you stuck?" — 你具体卡在哪里?
- "What's the smallest thing you could try next?" — 下一步最小的尝试是什么?
- "If you had to guess, what would you guess?" — 如果让你猜,你会猜什么?
- "What would you tell yourself a week from now if this were figured out?" — 如果一周后搞定了,你会怎么告诉现在的自己?
Hold Back the Answer (忍住不给答案)
The hardest skill: knowing the answer and not saying it.
最难的技能:知道答案而不说。
Holding back gracefully (优雅地忍住)
- "I have an idea, but I want you to think first." — 我有想法,但我想让你先想。
- "I'll let you noodle on this for 10 min — ping me if still stuck." — 我让你琢磨 10 分钟——还卡住就 ping 我。(noodle = 琢磨)
- "Try one more thing before I tell you." — 我告诉你之前再试一次。
When to give the answer anyway (什么时候直接给答案)
You have to read the room. Hints:
要看情况。提示:
- They've genuinely tried 3+ approaches.
- 他们已经真心试了 3+ 种方法。
- The answer requires context they couldn't have.
- 答案需要他们没有的上下文。
- They're frustrated to the point of disengaging.
- 他们沮丧到要放弃了。
- Time pressure (incident, deadline) makes Socratic teaching impractical.
- 时间压力(故障、deadline)让苏格拉底式不实际。
In those cases:
- "OK, I'll just tell you — but let's debrief on how you'd find this yourself next time." — 好,我直接告诉你——但我们事后聊聊下次你怎么自己找。
- "Here's the answer. Now talk me through why it makes sense." — 这是答案。现在你给我讲为什么合理。
Code Review as Mentorship (代码评审作为辅导)
A junior's PR is a teaching moment, not just a quality gate.
新人的 PR 是教学时刻,不只是质量门。
Helpful comment patterns (有帮助的评论模式)
- "Question: why did you go with X over Y?" — 问题:为什么选 X 而不是 Y?(让他们解释思路)
- "Suggestion: consider [pattern]. Here's why: [reason]." — 建议:考虑 [模式]。原因:[原因]。
- "Nit: [small thing]. Optional." — 小问题:[小事]。可选。
- "Praise: clean way to handle this edge case." — 表扬:处理这个边界情况的方式很干净。
- "Resource: see [link] for more on this pattern." — 资源:这个模式更多见 [链接]。
Differentiate the levels (区分严重程度)
| Tag | Meaning |
|---|---|
| nit: | Small style; not blocking |
| q: | Genuine question (might not need change) |
| suggestion: | Optional improvement |
| issue: | Should be addressed |
| blocker: | Won't approve until fixed |
Tone (语气)
❌ "This is wrong." — 命令式。 ✅ "I'd be cautious here — [issue]. Could go with [alternative]." — 解释 + 建议。
❌ "Why didn't you write a test?" — 听起来像审问。 ✅ "Worth adding a test for [edge case] — would catch [scenario]." — 建设性。
Giving Hard Feedback (给艰难反馈)
Sometimes you have to say their work isn't good enough. Do it kindly and clearly — vagueness hurts them more than directness.
有时你必须说他们的工作不够好。要善意但清楚——模糊比直接更伤人。
SBI structure (situation - behavior - impact) (SBI 结构)
"In yesterday's design review (S),
you had answers ready before I'd finished asking the question (B).
It made it hard to tell whether you'd understood the question,
and made me less confident in your answers (I).
Want to talk about how to handle that next time?"Phrases (短语)
- "I want to share something — it's hard but I think it'll help you." — 我想分享一件事——难讲但我觉得对你有帮助。
- "Coachable feedback: [specific behavior]. Here's what I'd suggest instead..." — 可改进反馈:[具体行为]。我建议改为……
- "This isn't where I expected your work to be — let's diagnose why together." — 这不是我预期的水平——我们一起诊断为什么。
- "You're not at the [level] standard yet for [skill]. Here's the gap..." — 你在 [技能] 上还没到 [级别] 标准。差距是……
Don't sandwich (不要"三明治")
The "compliment-criticism-compliment" sandwich is dated and now widely seen as patronizing. Direct feedback wrapped in genuine warmth lands better.
"夸-批-夸"三明治已过时,被普遍视为居高临下。带真诚温度的直接反馈更好。
❌ "Great work overall! But the design has issues. Anyway, you're doing great!" — 廉价。 ✅ "I want to be direct because I respect your work: the design has issues. Here they are. I think you'll handle it well." — 直接 + 信任。
Praising Specifically (具体表扬)
Generic praise ("good job!") doesn't teach. Specific praise teaches what to repeat.
笼统表扬不教人。具体表扬教对方什么值得重复。
❌ "Great PR!" ✅ "Great PR — the way you broke up the migration into 3 reversible steps will save us if anything goes wrong. That's a senior move." — 具体到行为。
❌ "Nice job in the meeting." ✅ "You handled that pushback from the PM well — you asked clarifying questions before defending. That's hard." — 具体技能。
Coaching Career Growth (辅导职业成长)
Beyond technical, juniors look to mentors for career navigation.
技术之外,新人也找 mentor 看职业方向。
Useful conversations (有用的对话)
- "What do you want your job to look like in a year?" — 一年后你希望工作是什么样?
- "What kind of work energizes you? Drains you?" — 什么工作让你兴奋?耗你?
- "What's the skill that, if you had it, would unlock the most?" — 你最想拥有的、能解锁最多的技能是什么?
- "What's a stretch project you'd say yes to?" — 你会答应做什么挑战性项目?
When they should grow on a team (建议他们留在团队里成长)
- "You'll grow faster by going deeper here than switching." — 在这里深耕会比跳槽更快成长。
- "Stick with this for 6 months — you'll come out much stronger." — 再坚持 6 个月——你会强很多。
When they should leave the team (建议他们换团队)
- "Honestly — you'll grow faster on a different team. Want me to make some intros?" — 老实说——换队你成长更快。要我介绍几个人吗?
- "This isn't the right environment for what you want — let's find one that is." — 这不是适合你想要的环境——我们找一个。
Setting Up Office Hours (设 office hours)
A common tactic: a recurring 30-min weekly slot anyone can grab.
常见做法:每周固定 30 分钟谁都能预约。
Announcement (宣布)
Hey team — setting up office hours, Tuesdays 3-3:30pm.
Drop in for: stuck PRs, design questions, career chat, dumb questions.
Calendar link: [link]. No agenda needed.Phrases (短语)
- "Office hours are open — grab a slot anytime." — Office hours 开放——随时约。
- "Got 5 minutes for a stuck PR or 30 for design help — pick what fits." — 卡住的 PR 5 分钟,设计帮忙 30 分钟——按需。
When You Don't Know the Answer (当你不知道答案时)
Mentors who pretend to know lose credibility fast. Mentors who model how to figure it out earn lasting respect.
装懂的 mentor 很快失信。展示怎么搞清楚的 mentor 赢得长期尊重。
- "Honest answer: I don't know. Let's figure it out together." — 老实说:我不知道。我们一起搞。
- "Good question — I've never thought about that. My guess is X, but let's verify." — 好问题——我没想过。我猜是 X,但我们验证一下。
- "I'd ask [expert]. Want me to intro you?" — 我会问 [专家]。要我介绍你认识吗?
Phrases to Avoid (要避免的表达)
| ❌ Avoid (避免) | Why (原因) | ✅ Better (更好) |
|---|---|---|
| "Just do X." | 没教思路 | "What if you tried X — what would happen?" |
| "That's wrong." | 否定但没帮助 | "I'd reconsider X because Y." |
| "When I was your level..." | 让人翻白眼 | (skip the comparison) |
| "You should know this by now." | 羞辱 | "Worth a refresher — here's why it matters." |
| "I'll just do it faster." | 短期省时间,长期没成长 | Take the slower path. |
| Disappearing after early help | 一次性 mentor 没用 | Set ongoing cadence. |
Cultural Notes (文化提示)
Mentoring is a job, not a favor (辅导是工作,不是恩惠)
In Western tech, "I mentor X juniors" is review-worthy work. Document it — count of people, examples of growth, hours invested. Don't treat it as charity.
在西方科技公司,"我辅导 X 个新人"是评估时算分的工作。记录下来——人数、成长例子、投入时间。不要当慈善。
Don't be a savior (不要做救世主)
The "I rescue every junior" pattern is condescending and breeds dependence. Goal is autonomy, not loyalty.
"我每个新人都救"模式居高临下且培养依赖。目标是自主,不是忠诚。
Pair with people unlike you (跟和你不一样的人结对)
Mentoring across gender, ethnicity, background, function makes you a better engineer and a better mentor. Sticking to "people like me" caps your reach.
跨性别、种族、背景、职能辅导让你成为更好的工程师和 mentor。只跟"像我的人"会限制范围。
Drop the savior phrasing (放弃救世主语气)
❌ "I helped Alice ship her first project." — 暗示她需要被帮。 ✅ "I worked with Alice on her first project." — 平等。
Pay it forward (付出)
Almost every senior was helped by their own mentors. The implicit deal is to do the same for the next generation. Skipping it is noticed.
几乎每个资深人都曾被自己的 mentor 帮过。隐含的约定是为下一代做同样的事。不做会被注意到。
Mentor your peers, not just juniors (也辅导同级,不只新人)
"Peer mentorship" — coaching equals on different skills — is high-leverage and counts toward senior+ scope.
"同级 mentorship"——在不同技能上互相辅导——是高杠杆,算资深以上的范围。
Tips (小贴士)
- Ask, don't tell — Every time you're tempted to answer, ask a question instead. 问,不说。
- Specific praise teaches — Tell them exactly what they did well so they repeat it. 具体表扬。
- Set cadence — Recurring beats one-off. 设固定频率。
- Be honest about your limits — "I don't know" is mentorship gold. 坦白不知道。
- Track it — Mentoring is reviewable work. Document who, when, what. 记录辅导。
- Hand them off when ready — Goal is they don't need you. 培养自主。