Managing Up & Working with Executives
How to brief, influence, and communicate with leadership in English (用英文向上汇报、影响、与高管沟通)
Why "Managing Up" Is a Career Skill (为什么"向上管理"是职业技能)
In Western tech, managing up isn't political — it's expected. It means making your manager and their manager look good by giving them what they need: clarity, predictability, advance warning, and credit. Engineers who do this well get promoted; those who don't stagnate even with great technical work.
在西方科技公司,向上管理不是政治——是被期待的。意思是给经理和他们的经理他们需要的东西:清晰、可预测、提前预警、把功劳给他们——让他们显得好。会做这个的工程师被晋升;不会的,即使技术很好也停滞。
The principle 原则: Your manager should never be surprised, never have to ask for status, and should always have what they need to advocate for you up the chain.
你的经理永不应该吃惊、永不应该问你状态、永远有他们向更高层为你争取所需要的东西。
Communicating With Your Direct Manager (跟直属经理沟通)
Weekly written update (周度书面汇报)
Even if not required, send one. Saves 1:1 time, creates a paper trail of impact.
即使不要求,也发一份。节省 1:1 时间,留下影响力记录。
Subject: [Your name] — Week of May 6
TL;DR: On track on Project X. One blocker on Project Y — escalating.
Shipped this week:
- PR #234 merged: caching layer for /api/users (cuts p99 by 30%)
- Wrote design doc for auth migration (linked) — review next week
In flight:
- Project X: 70% done, ETA Friday
- Project Y: blocked on Team Z's API; flagged in #help-team-z
Blockers / Asks:
- Need your help nudging Team Z lead — DM him?
People:
- Helped onboard Alice this week — she shipped first PR
Looking ahead:
- Next week: ship Project X, kick off auth migrationPhrases for upward communication (向上沟通用语)
- "Quick FYI — wanted you to hear this from me first..." — 快速知会——想让你先从我这里听到……
- "Heads up — there's a risk on X. Here's what I'm doing about it." — 提前告知——X 有风险。我在这样应对。
- "Status: on track. Will flag if that changes." — 状态:按计划。有变化我会标记。
- "Want to flag this so it's not a surprise later." — 想标记一下,免得以后吃惊。
Helping Your Manager Help You (帮经理帮你)
Make their job easy (让他们的工作简单)
Your manager has to summarize you to their manager. Hand them the summary.
你的经理要向他们的经理总结你。直接把总结递给他们。
- "For your skip-level update: my biggest impact this month was X. Happy to send a one-paragraph version if useful." — 给你跟你领导汇报用:我这个月最大的影响是 X。需要的话我可以写一段。
- "I shipped X. The framing I'd use is: [framing]. Take it or leave it." — 我做了 X。我会这样包装:[包装]。要不要随你。
Give them advocacy ammo (给他们为你说话的弹药)
Before review cycles, give your manager:
- A 1-page summary of your impact
- 3 specific quotes/screenshots of positive feedback
- Your case for promotion (if applicable)
评估前,给经理:
- 1 页影响总结
- 3 条具体的正面反馈引用/截图
- 你的晋升论据(如适用)
Phrases (短语)
- "Want to make your job easy on calibration — here's a 1-pager on my impact." — 想让你做 calibration 时省事——这是我影响的一页总结。
- "If you're advocating for my promotion, here are the 3 strongest examples to use." — 如果你为我争取晋升,这是最强的 3 个例子。
Briefing Executives (给高管做 brief)
The "BLUF" structure (BLUF 结构)
Bottom Line Up Front. The first sentence is the answer. Everything else is supporting detail. Execs may stop reading at sentence 2.
结论先行。第一句是答案。其他都是支撑细节。高管可能读完第二句就停。
Bad vs. good exec briefing (差 vs. 好的高管 brief)
❌ Bad (engineer-style): "We've been investigating the latency issues in the auth service. After profiling, we found that the Redis client was creating new connections per request. We considered three approaches — connection pooling, switching clients, and adding a sidecar — and decided to go with..."
❌ 差:工程师风格,把推理过程一步步铺开。高管中途就走神了。
✅ Good (exec-style): "We're cutting auth latency 80% with a 1-week fix. Cost: 1 engineer-week. Risk: low. Background: the Redis client was creating new connections per request. Connection pooling solves it. Decision needed by Friday."
✅ 好:先说结论 + 收益 + 成本 + 风险,再给背景。
Exec briefing template (高管 brief 模板)
TL;DR: [The answer in one sentence]
Recommendation: [What you want them to decide / approve]
Why now: [Urgency / opportunity]
Cost: [Time, headcount, $$]
Risk: [What could go wrong, and your mitigation]
Alternatives considered: [Brief]
Decision needed by: [Date]Phrases for Exec Communication (高管沟通用语)
Opening (开场)
- "The recommendation is X. Here's why." — 推荐是 X。原因如下。
- "I want to brief you on [topic] in 5 minutes." — 我想用 5 分钟给你 brief [话题]。
- "Three things to know about [project]..." — 关于 [项目] 你要知道三件事……
Quantifying impact in their language (用他们的语言量化影响)
- "This unlocks $X in revenue / saves $Y in cost / removes Z risk." — 这解锁 $X 收入 / 节省 $Y 成本 / 移除 Z 风险。
- "Affects N customers, M% of traffic, $K MRR." — 影响 N 个客户,M% 流量,$K MRR。
- "Without this, we'll miss [strategic goal]." — 没这个我们会错过 [战略目标]。
Recommending action (推荐行动)
- "My recommendation is X." — 我的推荐是 X。
- "I'd encourage you to approve this." — 我建议你批准。
- "The decision I need from you: A or B." — 我需要你的决定:A 还是 B。
- "Doing nothing is a decision too — and it costs us [X]." — 不行动也是决定——代价是 [X]。
Acknowledging tradeoffs (承认取舍)
- "The honest tradeoff is X for Y. We accept it because..." — 老实的取舍是 X 换 Y。我们接受是因为……
- "Risk: [risk]. Mitigation: [mitigation]." — 风险:[风险]。缓解:[缓解]。
Answering Exec Questions (回答高管问题)
Execs often ask sharp, sometimes-loaded questions. Stay calm and concise.
高管常问尖锐、有时带陷阱的问题。冷静简洁。
"Why didn't you do X?" ("为什么没做 X?")
❌ Long-winded explanation. Defensive. ✅ "Two reasons: [A] and [B]. Open to revisiting if [conditions change]." — 两个原因:[A] 和 [B]。如果 [条件变化] 愿意重新看。
"When will it be done?" ("什么时候完成?")
❌ "Soon." / "It depends." (vague) ✅ "Confident in [date] for the core scope. The optional pieces by [later date]." — 核心范围 [日期] 有信心。可选部分 [更晚日期]。
"What's the impact?" ("影响是什么?")
❌ Technical metrics only. ✅ "On users: [user impact]. On revenue: [estimate]. On the team: [time/headcount]." — 三个角度都说。
"Are we behind?" ("我们落后了吗?")
❌ Defensive: "Well, the requirements changed..." ✅ "Honestly — yes, by 1 week. Cause: [specific]. Plan to recover: [specific]." — 老实说——是,落后 1 周。原因:[具体]。恢复计划:[具体]。
When you don't know (你不知道时)
- "I don't have that number — I'll get it to you by EOD." — 我没那个数字——下班前给你。
- "Let me check rather than guess." — 让我查一下,不要猜。
- "Best estimate is X, but I want to confirm." — 最佳估计是 X,但我要确认。
Exec Presence (高管面前的"presence")
"Exec presence" is the hardest cultural skill for non-native speakers. It's not about loudness or extroversion — it's about calm, brevity, clarity, and confidence.
"Exec presence" 是非母语者最难的文化技能。不是吵闹或外向——是冷静、简洁、清晰、自信。
Calm under pressure (压力下保持冷静)
- Pause before answering. 1 second is fine.
- 回答前停一下。1 秒可以。
- Don't fill silence with "ums" — silence is OK.
- 不要用"嗯啊"填沉默——沉默没问题。
- If interrupted, finish your sentence: "Let me finish that point — [point]."
- 被打断时,说完你的话:"让我说完这点——[要点]。"
Brevity (简洁)
- The first sentence is the answer.
- 第一句就是答案。
- Use "headline + 3 bullets" not "3 paragraphs."
- 用"标题 + 3 要点",不是 3 段。
- Stop when you're done. Don't repeat for emphasis.
- 说完就停。不要重复强调。
Confident framing (自信的措辞)
| ❌ Tentative (犹豫) | ✅ Confident (自信) |
|---|---|
| "I think maybe we should..." | "I recommend X." |
| "It might possibly..." | "It will." or "Likely." |
| "I'm not sure but..." | "My best read is..." |
| "Sorry to bring this up..." | "I want to flag..." |
| "Just my opinion..." | (just say the opinion) |
Disagreeing with execs (跟高管不同意)
- "I want to push back gently on that. Here's my read..." — 我想轻轻反推一下。我的看法是……
- "I see it differently — can I share my thinking?" — 我看法不同——能分享我的思路吗?
- "Hard to say in this room, but I want to flag..." — 在这屋子里难说,但我想标记……
- "I'd encourage you to consider [alternative]." — 我建议你考虑 [替代方案]。
Then commit if they decide otherwise: "Got it. Going with your call."
如果他们决定别的,承诺执行:
Working With Your Skip-Level (与隔级上级合作)
Your manager's manager. They affect your career significantly without you reporting to them.
你经理的经理。不向他们汇报但他们对你职业影响很大。
Skip-level 1:1 cadence (隔级 1:1 节奏)
Aim for every 6 months minimum, even if they don't initiate. It's normal and expected.
至少每 6 个月一次,即使他们不主动。这是正常被期待的。
- "Hi [name] — would love to grab 30 min for a skip-level chat sometime in the next month." — 你好——希望未来一个月内约 30 分钟做一次隔级。
- "Want to put a face to the name and share what I'm working on." — 想让你认识一下并分享我在做什么。
What to talk about (聊什么)
- What you're working on (1-2 minutes, not 20).
- Their priorities and how your work connects.
- Career direction.
- Honest signal: how is the team doing, what's working, what's not.
Phrases (短语)
- "What are you focused on right now?" — 你现在专注在什么?
- "What's giving you sleepless nights?" — 什么让你睡不着?(直接问 pain point)
- "What feedback do you have on [my work]?" — 你对 [我的工作] 有什么反馈?
- "From your view, where do you see me having the most impact in the next 6 months?" — 从你视角,未来 6 个月你看我在哪能产生最大影响?
What NOT to do at skip-levels (隔级中不要做的)
- Don't badmouth your manager. It feels like venting; it lands as judgment of both of you.
- 不要说你经理坏话。你以为是吐槽;他们听到的是对你们俩的判断。
- Don't go around your manager. If you have an issue, address with manager first.
- **不要绕开你经理。**有问题先和经理说。
- Don't ask for promotion at skip-level alone. Should be a coordinated ask through your manager.
- **不要单独在隔级谈晋升。**应该通过你经理协调。
Promoting Your Work to Leadership (向领导层推销你的工作)
In Asian culture, modesty waits for recognition. In Western tech, you must surface your work — leadership won't find it on their own.
亚洲文化里,谦虚等待被认可。在西方科技公司,你必须把工作浮出水面——领导自己不会发现。
Tactics (战术)
- Demo at all-hands when you ship something significant.
- 发布重要东西时在 all-hands 演示。
- Share wins in Slack, tagging the right people.
- Slack 上分享成果,@对的人。
- Write the executive summary yourself of your project's impact.
- 自己写项目影响的高管总结。
- Ask for the meeting — don't wait to be invited to brief leadership.
- 主动约会议——不要等被邀请去 brief 领导。
Phrases (短语)
- "Want to share a quick win — [team] just shipped [X], with [impact]." — 想分享一个快速成果——[团队] 刚发布 [X],影响 [Y]。
- "Worth getting on [exec]'s radar?" — 值得让 [高管] 知道吗?
- "Want me to put together a 1-pager for leadership?" — 要我给领导层做一份一页总结吗?
Phrases to Avoid (要避免的表达)
| ❌ Avoid (避免) | Why (原因) | ✅ Better (更好) |
|---|---|---|
| "Sorry to take your time..." to execs | 卑微,浪费 25% 你的字数 | "Three things, fast." |
| Long technical preamble | 高管会走神 | Lead with the answer. |
| "It's complicated." | 听起来像没准备 | "Two factors: [A] and [B]." |
| "I think we should probably maybe..." | 不自信 | "I recommend X." |
| Hedging on dates with no number | 不可信 | "[Date], with [confidence level]." |
| Going to skip-level to badmouth manager | 双败 | Resolve with manager first. |
Cultural Notes (文化提示)
Bad news fast, good news loud (坏消息快,好消息响)
Surface bad news immediately, even when small. Underreport good news at first, then overshare the impact once it lands.
坏消息立即浮上来,再小也是。好消息一开始少报,落地后充分分享影响。
Execs are calibrating you constantly (高管在持续校准你)
Every email, every meeting comment, every Slack post — they're forming an opinion. There's no "off-camera" with leadership.
每封邮件、每次发言、每条 Slack——他们都在形成看法。在领导面前没有"幕后"。
Match the medium (匹配介质)
- Bad news: live (1:1 or call). Never Slack.
- 坏消息:实时(1:1 或电话)。永远不要 Slack。
- Routine status: written (Slack/email). Saves their time.
- 常规状态:书面。省他们时间。
- Strategic decision: written brief + live discussion.
- 战略决策:书面 brief + 实时讨论。
Don't fall for "they're so smart" or "they're so out of touch" (不要陷入"他们太聪明"或"他们脱节")
Both are projections. Most execs are smart on strategy and behind on technical detail. Brief them accordingly.
两个都是投射。大多数高管在战略上聪明,在技术细节上落后。相应地 brief 他们。
Build the relationship before you need it (在需要前建立关系)
The first time leadership hears your name should not be when there's an incident or you're up for promotion. Be on their radar in good times.
领导第一次听到你的名字不应该是故障时或你要晋升时。在好时候就在他们雷达上。
Tips (小贴士)
- Lead with the answer — Always. 答案先行。永远。
- Send weekly update — Even unsolicited. It's career insurance. 周度发汇报,主动发。
- Calibrate your confidence — "60% confident" beats "should be fine." 校准把握度。
- Manager-proof your work — Write it so your manager could re-tell it perfectly. 让经理能完美复述你的工作。
- Don't surprise — Bad news early is fine; bad news late is career-damaging. 不要让人吃惊。
- Skip-level every 6 months minimum — Even if they don't initiate. 至少每半年一次隔级。