Giving Feedback
How to praise, suggest improvement, and deliver criticism in English (用英文给予表扬、建议、批评)
Why Feedback Tone Matters in English (英语反馈的语气为什么重要)
In Western workplaces, feedback is more direct than Chinese workplaces, but the wrapping is also more polite. Both extremes — too blunt or too vague — fail to land.
在西方职场中,反馈比中国职场更直接,但包装也更礼貌。太直白和太含糊都不行。
A useful rule: Be direct about the issue, gentle about the person.
一个好用的原则:对事直接,对人温和。
Praise (表扬)
Frequent, specific praise is one of the most underused tools in management.
频繁、具体的表扬是管理中最被低估的工具之一。
Public praise (公开表扬)
- "Shoutout to Alice for shipping the migration ahead of schedule." — 大声感谢 Alice 提前完成了迁移。(shoutout = 公开点名表扬)
- "Big thanks to Bob — the deploy went smoothly thanks to his prep work." — 非常感谢 Bob——多亏他的准备工作,部署很顺利。
- "Hats off to the QA team for catching that critical bug." — 向 QA 团队致敬,他们发现了那个关键 bug。(hats off = 致敬)
- "Want to call out Carol's mentoring of the new hires — it's making a real difference." — 想点名表扬 Carol 对新人的辅导——确实带来了真实的改变。(call out = 点名)
Private praise (私下表扬)
- "I really appreciated how you handled the customer issue yesterday." — 我很感激你昨天处理客户问题的方式。
- "That was really well done." — 做得真好。
- "Your work on X has not gone unnoticed." — 你在 X 上的工作我都看在眼里。
Specific is better than general (具体比笼统好)
❌ "Good job!" — 笼统,没什么意义。 ✅ "The way you broke down that complex problem in the design doc was really clear — junior engineers will be able to follow it easily." — 你在设计文档里把那个复杂问题拆解得很清楚——初级工程师也能看懂。
Constructive Suggestions (建设性建议)
Soft framing (柔和表达)
- "Have you considered..." — 你考虑过……吗?
- "One thing that might help is..." — 可能有帮助的一件事是……
- "What if you tried..." — 如果你试一下……
- "I wonder if it would work to..." — 我想 …… 会不会管用……
Direct framing (直接表达)
- "I'd suggest..." — 我建议……
- "I think you'd benefit from..." — 我觉得你做……会有帮助。
- "Here's something to think about..." — 这里有个值得思考的事……
The SBI Framework (SBI 模型)
A common feedback framework:
一个常用的反馈框架:
- Situation (情境): When did this happen?
- Behavior (行为): What did the person do?
- Impact (影响): What was the effect?
Example:
"Situation: In yesterday's design review, Behavior: when Bob disagreed with you, you cut him off a few times. Impact: I noticed he stopped contributing for the rest of the meeting. Going forward, I'd love to see you pause and let others finish their points."
情境:在昨天的设计评审上, 行为:当 Bob 不同意你时,你打断了他几次。 影响:我注意到他后面就没怎么发言了。以后我希望你能停一下,让别人把话说完。
Critical Feedback (批评性反馈)
This is the hardest type of feedback. Here's how to deliver it without crushing the person.
这是最难的反馈类型。下面教你如何在不伤害对方的情况下给出。
Asking permission (征求许可)
- "Could I share some feedback with you?" — 我能跟你分享一些反馈吗?
- "Is now a good time to talk about something?" — 现在方便聊点事吗?
- "There's something I want to bring up — okay?" — 我有件事想说——可以吗?
Setting up (引入)
- "This is hard to share, but I think it's important." — 这话不好说,但我觉得重要。
- "I want to be honest with you because I respect you." — 我想跟你坦诚,因为我尊重你。
- "I'd want someone to tell me if our roles were reversed." — 如果我是你,我也希望有人告诉我。
Stating the issue (说明问题)
- "I noticed [specific behavior]." — 我注意到 [具体行为]。
- "I've been seeing a pattern where..." — 我观察到一种模式……
- "What I'd want from you is..." — 我希望你能……
Examples (示例)
"I noticed that in the last two sprint reviews, your tickets weren't ready to demo. I want to understand what's getting in the way and how I can help."
我注意到过去两次 sprint 评审,你的工单都没有准备好演示。我想了解是什么阻碍了你,我能怎么帮你。
"I want to give you some honest feedback. The way you responded to Bob's comment in #engineering came across as dismissive. He's mentioned to me he didn't feel heard. Could we talk about how to handle that differently next time?"
我想给你一些坦诚的反馈。你在 #engineering 里回应 Bob 的方式让人觉得不太尊重。他跟我提到他觉得没被认真听。我们能聊聊下次如何不一样地处理吗?
The Feedback Sandwich — Use With Caution (反馈三明治——慎用)
The classic "praise — criticism — praise" sandwich often feels manipulative. People learn to brace whenever you start with praise.
经典的"表扬——批评——表扬"三明治常常显得很套路。人们一听到你先表扬就开始紧张。
A better pattern: be direct, but also be human.
更好的方式:直接但有人情味。
❌ Avoid 避免:
"You did great on the launch! But your timeline estimates have been way off lately. Anyway, keep up the good work!"
✅ Better 更好:
"I want to talk about timeline estimates — they've been way off the last few sprints. What's been going on? I want to figure out how to help you get this back on track."
Receiving Feedback (接收反馈)
When someone gives you feedback, your default response should be gratitude and curiosity, not defense.
当有人给你反馈时,默认反应应该是感激和好奇,不是防御。
Initial responses (初步回应)
- "Thanks for telling me." — 谢谢告诉我。
- "I appreciate you bringing this up." — 感谢你提出来。
- "That's helpful to hear." — 听到这个很有帮助。
Asking for more (追问)
- "Could you give me a specific example?" — 能举个具体例子吗?
- "What would 'better' look like to you?" — 在你看来 "更好" 是什么样的?
- "How could I have handled that differently?" — 我本来可以怎样不同地处理?
When you disagree (不同意时)
Don't argue immediately. Sit with it first.
不要立刻争辩。先消化一下。
- "Let me sit with that for a bit." — 让我消化一下。
- "I want to think about it — can we revisit?" — 我想想——我们能再讨论一次吗?
- "I see it differently, but I want to understand your perspective first." — 我看法不同,但我想先了解你的角度。
Closing the loop (后续跟进)
- "I've been working on what we talked about — here's what I tried..." — 我一直在改进我们聊过的事——我尝试了……
- "Thanks again for the feedback — it's been useful." — 再次谢谢你的反馈——很有用。
Negative Feedback to Avoid (要避免的负面反馈)
❌ "You always..." / "You never..." — 永远 / 从不 — 太绝对,对方会防御。 ❌ "That was stupid." — 攻击人,不是事。 ❌ "Why didn't you just..." — 听起来像责备。 ❌ "Everyone thinks..." — 借别人之口,懦弱。
Better alternatives:
更好的表达:
✅ "I noticed in [specific instance]..." — 我注意到在 [具体情况] 中…… ✅ "That decision didn't have the impact we wanted." — 那个决定没有达到我们想要的效果。 ✅ "What was your reasoning here?" — 你当时的思路是什么?
Tips (小贴士)
- Praise in public, criticize in private — 公开表扬,私下批评。
- Be specific — Vague feedback is useless feedback. 笼统的反馈等于没反馈。
- Address behavior, not character — "You did X" not "You are X". 谈行为,不谈人品。
- Make it timely — Feedback days or weeks later loses impact. 反馈要及时。
- Ask, don't tell, when you can — Questions invite reflection; statements invite defense. 能用提问就别用陈述。
- Document patterns — One-off issues are different from patterns. 记录是否是反复出现的问题。