Difficult Conversations & Conflict
How to navigate hard conversations and conflict in English (用英文处理难谈话和冲突)
Why These Are the Hardest (为什么这是最难的)
Confronting a colleague, addressing a behavior issue, raising a sensitive concern — these conversations are hard in any language. In a non-native one, the fear of using the wrong word often makes people avoid them entirely. Avoidance grows the problem.
直面同事、指出行为问题、提出敏感顾虑——这些对话在任何语言里都难。用非母语时,怕用错词让人完全回避。回避会让问题变大。
The principle 原则: Address the issue early, address the issue clearly, address the issue privately. Then move on.
早处理、清楚处理、私下处理。然后翻篇。
Setting Up the Conversation (铺垫对话)
Don't ambush. Signal that a real conversation is coming.
不要伏击。发信号告诉对方真对话来了。
Asking for the meeting (约谈话)
- "Hey, do you have 15 minutes today? I want to talk about something." — 嘿,今天有 15 分钟吗?我想聊点事。
- "Can we find time for a quick chat? Nothing huge — just want to clear the air on something." — 能找时间快速聊一下吗?不是大事——就想把一件事说清楚。(clear the air = 把空气澄清=消除误会)
- "I'd like to talk about [topic]. When works for you?" — 我想聊聊 [话题]。你什么时候方便?
- "Got something on my mind I want to share with you. Quick coffee?" — 我有事想跟你说。快速喝个咖啡?
When the topic is sensitive (话题敏感时)
- "Want to talk about something a bit awkward — better in person." — 想聊一件有点尴尬的事——当面更好。
- "Could we find a private room?" — 我们能找个私密的房间吗?
- "I'd rather have this conversation face-to-face than over Slack." — 我更想当面聊,不在 Slack 上。
Opening the Conversation (开场)
Set the tone (定基调)
- "Thanks for making time. I want to share something honestly." — 谢谢抽时间。我想坦诚分享一些事。
- "This is a bit hard for me to bring up, but I think it's important." — 这对我有点难开口,但我觉得重要。
- "I want this conversation to be a two-way thing — I'll share, and I want to hear from you too." — 我希望这是双向的——我说,也想听你说。
Frame your intention (说明意图)
- "I'm bringing this up because I value working with you." — 我提这个是因为我重视和你合作。
- "I want us to come out of this stronger, not the opposite." — 我希望我们经过这个更紧密,不是相反。
- "My goal isn't to blame — I want to understand and find a way forward." — 我的目标不是怪罪——我想理解并找到出路。
Bringing Up the Issue (提出问题)
SBI framework (SBI 框架: Situation - Behavior - Impact)
A widely-used structure for raising concerns about behavior.
提出行为顾虑的常用结构。
Situation: "In yesterday's design review..."
Behavior: "...you cut me off three times when I was presenting."
Impact: "It made it hard for me to share my analysis, and I felt dismissed."This works because it's:
- Specific (a real moment, not "you always...")
- Observable (what actually happened, not your interpretation)
- About impact (how it affected you/the work, not motive)
之所以有效是因为:
- 具体(真实的一刻,不是"你总是")
- 可观察(实际发生的,不是你的解读)
- 关于影响(对你/工作的影响,不是动机)
Observation, not accusation (观察,而非指控)
| ❌ Accusation (指控) | ✅ Observation (观察) |
|---|---|
| "You're being dismissive." | "When I shared the proposal, you said 'we already tried that' without engaging with the details. That felt dismissive to me." |
| "You don't respect me." | "I noticed in the last 3 meetings my points didn't get a response. Curious if I'm reading that wrong." |
| "You're micromanaging." | "When you ask for 3 status updates a day, it makes me feel you don't trust me to deliver. Is something specific worrying you?" |
"I" Statements vs. "You" Statements ("我"的陈述 vs. "你"的陈述)
"You" statements feel like attacks. "I" statements describe your experience.
"你"开头像指责。"我"开头描述自己的感受。
| ❌ "You" attack (你-指责) | ✅ "I" observation (我-观察) |
|---|---|
| "You always interrupt me." | "I find it hard to finish my thoughts when I'm interrupted." |
| "You're impossible to work with." | "I'm having trouble figuring out how to collaborate well with you." |
| "You don't listen." | "I'm not sure my points are landing — can we talk about how we communicate?" |
Useful Phrases (实用短语)
Raising a concern (提出顾虑)
- "I want to raise something that's been on my mind." — 我想提一件一直在想的事。
- "There's something I've been sitting with — want to share it." — 我心里压着一件事——想说出来。
- "I noticed something I want to talk about." — 我注意到一件事想谈谈。
- "Can I share an observation?" — 我能分享一个观察吗?
Naming the impact (命名影响)
- "The impact on me was..." — 对我的影响是……
- "What that landed as for me was..." — 我接收到的是……
- "From where I sit, it looked like..." — 在我的位置上看,像是……
- "I might be reading this wrong, but my interpretation was..." — 我可能读错了,但我的解读是……
Inviting their perspective (邀请对方观点)
- "What's your take?" — 你怎么看?
- "How did that look from your side?" — 你那边看是什么样?
- "Help me understand what was going on." — 帮我理解发生了什么。
- "I want to hear your version." — 我想听你的版本。
Acknowledging your part (承认自己的责任)
- "I want to own my part in this — I should have flagged it sooner." — 我也有责任——我应该早提出来。
- "In hindsight, I should have..." — 事后看,我应该……
- "I'm not without fault here." — 我也不是无错。
Listening to Their Side (听对方说)
Active listening (主动倾听)
- "Tell me more." — 跟我多说说。
- "Help me understand." — 帮我理解。
- "Walk me through how you saw it." — 详细讲讲你怎么看。
- "What am I missing?" — 我漏了什么?
Reflecting back (复述确认)
- "Let me make sure I understand — you're saying..." — 我确认理解了——你是说……
- "What I'm hearing is..." — 我听到的是……
- "So from your perspective..." — 从你的角度……
Not getting defensive (不要防御)
- "That's hard to hear, but I want to take it in." — 难受,但我想消化。
- "Give me a sec to process." — 给我一秒消化。
- "I want to think about that before responding." — 我想想再回应。
Resolving and Closing (化解和结束)
Finding common ground (找共识)
- "We both want [shared outcome]. Let's start there." — 我们都想要 [共同目标]。从这里开始。
- "It sounds like we agree on X, just disagree on Y." — 听起来我们在 X 上一致,只是在 Y 上有分歧。
- "What can we both commit to going forward?" — 我们都能向前承诺什么?
Agreeing on next steps (定下一步)
- "Going forward, can we agree to [X]?" — 往后我们能同意 [X] 吗?
- "I'll [my commitment]. Can you [their commitment]?" — 我会 [我的承诺]。你能 [他们的承诺] 吗?
- "Let's check in in two weeks to see how this is going." — 我们两周后再碰一下看进展。
When you can't agree (无法达成一致时)
- "We may not see this the same way — and that's OK. Can we agree on how we work together going forward?" — 我们看法可能不一样——没关系。我们能定下今后如何合作吗?
- "Let's bring this to [manager] together — fresh perspective might help." — 我们一起带到 [经理] 那里——新视角可能有帮助。
- "I'll defer to you on this one — but I want my concern on record." — 这件事我服从你——但我希望我的顾虑被记录。
Closing warmly (温暖结束)
- "Thanks for being open to this conversation." — 谢谢你愿意接受这次对话。
- "This wasn't easy — appreciate you hearing me out." — 这不容易——谢谢你听我说完。
- "Glad we talked. We're good?" — 很高兴聊了。我们没事吧?
When You're On the Receiving End (当你被指出问题时)
The hardest part: not getting defensive. Native English etiquette is to acknowledge before responding.
最难的部分:不防御。英语礼仪是先承认再回应。
First response (第一反应)
- "Thank you for telling me — that took courage." — 谢谢你告诉我——这需要勇气。
- "I appreciate you bringing this to me directly." — 谢谢你直接跟我提。
- "I want to take this in. Tell me more." — 我想消化一下。多跟我说说。
Don't defend immediately (不要立刻辩解)
❌ "That's not what I meant!" — 听起来在驳回。 ✅ "I can see how it landed that way. Let me explain my intent — but the impact matters more than my intent." — 承认 + 解释。
Asking for more (问更多)
- "Can you give me another example? I want to make sure I understand the pattern." — 能再举一个例子吗?我想理解这个模式。
- "What would you have wanted me to do instead?" — 你希望我之前怎么做?
- "How can I rebuild trust here?" — 我如何重建信任?
Committing to change (承诺改变)
- "Here's what I'll do differently starting now..." — 从现在起我会这样改……
- "Hold me accountable — call me out if I do it again." — 监督我——再犯请指出。
- "I want to follow up in a month to see if you've noticed a change." — 我想一个月后跟进,看你有没有注意到改变。
Addressing Behavior Patterns Over Time (处理长期行为模式)
When it's not a single incident but a pattern.
不是单次事件而是长期模式时。
- "This isn't about [specific incident] — it's a pattern I've been noticing." — 这不是 [某次具体事件]——是我一直在观察的模式。
- "Three times in the last month, [behavior] happened. I want to talk about that." — 上个月有 3 次发生 [行为]。我想谈谈。
- "I want to address something before it becomes a bigger issue." — 我想在事变大之前处理。
When You Can't Resolve It Alone (当你独自无法解决时)
Escalating to a manager (升级给经理)
- "I tried to address this directly with [name] — it didn't land. I want to bring you in." — 我试着直接和 [名字] 谈了——没效果。我想把你拉进来。
- "This is becoming an impact issue. Want your help thinking through next steps." — 这开始影响工作。想要你帮我想下一步。
- "I don't want to go around [name], but I need help." — 我不想绕开 [名字],但我需要帮助。
Going to HR (找 HR)
Reserve for: harassment, discrimination, retaliation, or after manager escalation didn't work. Frame as fact-finding, not accusation.
留给:骚扰、歧视、报复、或经理升级无效后。包装成事实查证,不是指控。
- "I want to share some concerns and understand my options." — 我想分享一些顾虑并了解我的选择。
- "I'd like to discuss something confidentially." — 我想保密地讨论一件事。
- "I want to document what's been happening." — 我想记录正在发生的事。
Phrases to Avoid (要避免的表达)
| ❌ Avoid (避免) | Why (原因) | ✅ Better (更好) |
|---|---|---|
| "You always..." / "You never..." | 夸大,让对方防御 | "In the last few weeks, I've noticed..." |
| "That's just how you are." | 攻击人格 | "This specific behavior is the issue." |
| "Everyone thinks so." | 拉别人壮胆,懦弱 | Speak only for yourself. |
| "You're being [emotional adjective]." | 评判情绪 | Describe the behavior, not the emotion. |
| "Calm down." | 总是火上浇油 | "Let's take a breath and come back to this." |
| "It's not personal." | 它当然觉得是私人的 | Acknowledge the personal weight. |
| Discussing it publicly first | 公开羞辱 | Always private first. |
Cultural Notes (文化提示)
Direct privately, supportive publicly (私下直接,公开支持)
The Western norm: never criticize someone in public; be willing to address it directly in private. Public criticism damages psychological safety.
西方规范:永远不在公开场合批评人;愿意私下直接处理。公开批评破坏心理安全感。
Avoidance is a Western career-limiter too (回避在西方也是限制职业的)
Although avoidance feels safer to Asian-trained instincts, in Western tech, "can't have hard conversations" is a known weakness flagged in performance reviews. People notice.
虽然亚洲式直觉觉得回避更安全,在西方科技公司,**"无法处理难谈话"**是绩效评估里会被标记的弱点。别人会注意。
"Radical candor" mindset (radical candor 心态)
Popularized by Kim Scott: care personally + challenge directly. Both warmth and honesty. Without warmth, it's brutal; without honesty, it's fake. Aim for both.
Kim Scott 提出:个人关心 + 直接挑战。既有温度也有诚实。没有温度是残忍;没有诚实是虚伪。要两者兼有。
Don't email difficult conversations (难谈话别用邮件)
Tone is impossible to read in writing. Voice or video. If you must write, write to schedule the live conversation, not to have it.
书面无法表达语气。用电话或视频。如果必须写,就写来约谈话,不要在书面里谈。
Closure matters (要有收尾)
After a hard conversation, explicitly check in within a week. "Hey — wanted to make sure we're good after our chat." Without closure, the relationship stays tense.
难谈话后,一周内主动确认。没有收尾,关系会一直紧张。
Cool off before sending (发出前冷静)
If you wrote something while angry, save the draft and re-read in the morning. You will almost always edit it down.
生气时写的东西,存草稿明早再读。几乎一定会改。
Tips (小贴士)
- Address it within a week — Old grievances are harder to discuss productively. 一周内处理。
- Private, not public — Always. 私下,不公开。
- Specific behavior, not character — "You did X" beats "you're Y." 具体行为,不评人格。
- Lead with curiosity, not conclusion — Ask before asserting. 带着好奇,不带结论。
- Follow up after — Closure prevents lingering tension. 事后跟进。
- Don't let small things fester — They become big things. 小事别拖成大事。