Steven's Knowledge

Career & Compensation Conversations

How to talk about promotion, raise, and career direction in English (用英文谈晋升、加薪、职业方向)

Why These Conversations Are Hard (为什么这类对话难)

Talking about money and ambition in Asian cultures is often avoided as crass. In Western tech, these are routine professional conversations — managers expect them. Avoiding them means leaving promotions and money on the table.

亚洲文化里谈钱和野心常被视为俗气而回避。在西方科技公司,这是例行的职业对话——经理就期待你来谈。回避意味着把晋升和钱让给别人。

The principle 原则: Your manager is not going to volunteer a promotion or raise. You have to ask, with evidence and a clear ask.

你的经理不会主动给你晋升或加薪。你必须主动提,带证据和明确诉求。

Asking About Promotion (谈晋升)

Opening the conversation (开启对话)

  • "I'd like to talk about my path to [next level]. Can we set aside time?" — 我想聊聊我到 [下一级] 的路径。能专门约个时间吗?
  • "Career growth has been on my mind — can we make space in our next 1:1?" — 职业发展我在思考——下次 1:1 能留出时间聊吗?
  • "Can we have a career conversation, separate from project status?" — 我们能聊一次职业话题吗,跟项目状态分开。

The direct ask (直接表达诉求)

  • "I want to be promoted to [level] this cycle. Help me understand if I'm on track." — 我想这个 cycle 升到 [级别]。帮我看看我是否在轨道上。
  • "What do I need to demonstrate to be ready for [level]?" — 我要展示什么才算准备好升到 [级别]?
  • "Where am I against the [level] criteria today?" — 按 [级别] 标准,我现在在哪?

When you're already operating at the next level (已经在做下一级的活)

  • "I've been operating at [next level] scope for the past [N months]. I'd like the title and comp to reflect that." — 我做 [下一级] 范围的工作已经 [N 个月]。希望职级和待遇能体现。
  • "Here are 3 examples of [next-level] impact this year. I'd like to formalize it." — 这是今年 3 个 [下一级] 影响的例子。希望正式化。

When you're told "not yet" (被告知"还不行"时)

  • "I hear you. Help me understand specifically what's missing." — 听到了。帮我具体理解还差什么。
  • "What would change your mind? What evidence do you need?" — 什么能让你改变看法?需要什么证据?
  • "Can we agree on 2-3 concrete things I can do this quarter to close the gap?" — 能定 2-3 件我这个季度能做的具体事来弥补差距吗?
  • "If I do X, Y, Z, will you advocate for me next cycle?" — 我如果做了 X、Y、Z,下个 cycle 你会为我争取吗?

Asking for a Raise (加薪)

Framing the ask (包装诉求)

  • "I want to talk about compensation." — 我想谈待遇。
  • "My comp hasn't been adjusted in [N months]. Can we look at it?" — 我的待遇 [N 个月] 没调整了。能看一下吗?
  • "Based on the scope I'm now owning, I'd like to revisit comp." — 基于我现在承担的范围,希望重谈待遇。
  • "Market data suggests I'm under-paid for my level. Can we discuss?" — 市场数据显示我相对级别低薪。能聊吗?

Bringing data (带数据)

  • "I've looked at levels.fyi and Glassdoor — for [level] at [company size], the band is X-Y. I'm at Z." — 我看了 levels.fyi 和 Glassdoor——[级别] 在 [公司规模] 是 X-Y 区间。我在 Z。
  • "I have a competing offer at [Y]. I'd prefer to stay — can we close the gap?" — 我有 [Y] 的 offer。我倾向留下——能补上差距吗?

Asking for an off-cycle raise (谈调薪窗口外加薪)

  • "My scope has grown significantly since the last review. I'd like to talk about an off-cycle adjustment." — 自上次评估以来我的范围明显增加。希望谈一次窗口外调薪。
  • "I know cycles are usually annual — would you make a case to HR for an exception?" — 我知道一般每年一次——你愿意为我向 HR 申请破例吗?

Career Direction Conversations (职业方向对话)

Exploring options (探索方向)

  • "I'm thinking about whether to stay on the IC track or move toward management. Can we talk about it?" — 我在想继续走 IC 还是转管理。能聊吗?(IC = individual contributor)
  • "I want to grow into [role]. What would that path look like here?" — 我想成长为 [角色]。在这里的路径是什么样?
  • "What roles do you see me being a fit for in 2-3 years?" — 你觉得 2-3 年后我适合什么角色?

Asking for stretch opportunities (请求挑战机会)

  • "I want to take on more [scope/leadership/cross-team]. What's coming up that I could step into?" — 我想承担更多 [范围/领导/跨团队]。有什么机会我能接?
  • "I'd love to lead the next big initiative. Keep me in mind." — 我希望主导下一个大项目。请记着我。
  • "Is there a project where I could grow into a tech lead role?" — 有什么项目能让我成长为 tech lead?

Switching teams internally (内部转岗)

  • "I want to be transparent — I've been thinking about a move to [team]. Want to hear your perspective." — 我想坦诚说——我在考虑去 [团队]。想听你的看法。
  • "This isn't about leaving the company — I want to grow in [area] and that team is where it's happening." — 这不是要离开公司——我想在 [领域] 成长,那个团队在做这块。

When You're Considering Leaving (考虑离职时)

Tricky territory. Use before you've decided, not after.

棘手领域。在你决定前用,不是决定后。

Hinting (暗示)

  • "I want to be honest — I've been less engaged lately. Can we talk about why?" — 我想坦诚说——我最近投入度不高。能聊聊原因吗?
  • "I've been getting recruiter pings and they're starting to land. Want you to know." — 我一直在收 recruiter 的 ping,最近开始动心。想让你知道。

Direct (直接)

  • "I want to give you a heads up — I'm exploring outside opportunities." — 我想提前告知——我在看外面的机会。
  • "Before I make any decisions, I want to give you a chance to make a counter-case." — 在我决定前,想给你一个挽留我的机会。

Counter-offer conversation (谈 counter offer)

  • "I have an offer at [company] for [role/comp]. I'd prefer to stay — what can you do?" — 我有 [公司] 的 offer,[角色/待遇]。我倾向留下——你能做什么?
  • "It's not just about the comp — I also want [growth/scope/role]. Can we make that work here?" — 不只是待遇——我还想要 [成长/范围/角色]。这里能做到吗?

Talking About Goals (聊目标)

Long-term goals (长期目标)

  • "In 3-5 years, I want to be [role/scope/impact]." — 3-5 年后,我想成为 [角色/范围/影响]。
  • "Long-term, I'm interested in [area] — that's where I want to invest." — 长期我对 [领域] 感兴趣——我想往这投入。

Short-term goals (短期目标)

  • "This year I want to focus on [skill/scope]." — 今年我想专注 [技能/范围]。
  • "By end of quarter, I want to have shipped X and grown into Y." — 季度末前我希望发布 X 并成长为 Y。

Receiving Career Feedback (接受职业反馈)

When you're told "you need more impact" (被告知"你需要更多影响力")

  • "What does 'more impact' look like specifically? Give me an example of someone who got it right." — "更多影响力"具体是什么样?给我一个做对了的例子。
  • "Is the gap in scope, visibility, or execution? Help me diagnose." — 差距在范围、可见度还是执行上?帮我诊断。

When you're told "you need more leadership" (被告知"你需要更多领导力")

  • "What kind of leadership? Tech leadership, mentorship, or driving cross-team work?" — 哪种领导力?技术领导、指导新人、还是推动跨团队?
  • "What's a project where I could demonstrate this in the next 3 months?" — 接下来 3 个月有什么项目我能展示这个?

When you're told "you need to be more visible" (被告知"你需要更多可见度")

  • "What does that look like? Posting more on Slack? Presenting at all-hands? Writing tech docs?" — 具体怎么做?多发 Slack?all-hands 演讲?写技术文档?
  • "Help me find venues — I'm willing, but not sure where." — 帮我找场子——我愿意,但不确定在哪。

Phrases to Avoid (要避免的表达)

❌ Avoid (避免)Why (原因)✅ Better (更好)
"I think I might maybe deserve..."不自信,听起来像问"I want to be considered for promotion."
"I don't want to be greedy, but..."自我贬低"Based on my impact, I think comp should be revisited."
"Sorry to bring this up..."这是合法对话,不必道歉"I want to talk about career growth."
"X got promoted, why not me?"显得小气"Help me understand what 'ready' looks like for me."
"If you don't promote me I'll leave."威胁"I want to grow here. Let's talk about the path."
"I deserve this." (no evidence)主张但没证据"Here's the evidence: [3 specific examples]."

Cultural Notes (文化提示)

Promotion is a partnership (晋升是合作)

Your manager is not the gatekeeper — they're your advocate to higher levels. Make their job easy: give them evidence, talking points, examples they can use to fight for you.

经理不是守门人——他们是替你向更高层争取的人。让他们的工作好做:给证据、说话要点、能用来为你争取的例子。

Initiate the conversation (主动发起)

In Asian culture, leaders tap shoulders. In Western tech, the squeaky wheel gets the grease — those who ask, get. Quiet performers get passed over.

亚洲文化里领导拍肩膀。西方科技公司,会哭的孩子有奶吃——主动开口的人得到。沉默的高绩效者被忽略。

Money talk is normal (谈钱是正常的)

Western tech treats compensation as a business transaction, not a moral question. Negotiating doesn't make you greedy — it makes you informed.

西方科技公司把待遇当商业交易,不是道德问题。谈待遇不让你显得贪心——只让你显得了解情况。

"Up or out" mindset varies (升迁或离开心态因公司而异)

Some companies (Amazon, Meta historically): if you're not promoting every 2 years, you're slipping. Others (Google, smaller cos): slower is fine. Know your company's culture.

有的公司(Amazon、Meta 早期):每 2 年不升就是退步。有的(Google、小公司):慢一点也行。了解你公司的文化

Always have a BATNA (永远有备选方案)

Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement — i.e., another offer or willingness to leave. You don't have to use it, but having it changes the conversation.

最佳替代方案 — 即另一个 offer 或愿意走的心态。你不一定要用,但有了它,对话就不同。

Tips (小贴士)

  • Bring evidence, not feelings — "I deserve" is weak. "Here are 3 things I shipped" is strong. 带证据,不带情绪。
  • Make a clear ask — Don't hint. Say the level, the title, the number. 明确诉求,不暗示。
  • Get specifics on "no" — Vague "not yet" is useless. "Not yet because X, do Y to fix" is actionable. "不行"要具体到原因。
  • Document the conversation — Send a follow-up email summarizing what was agreed. 用邮件总结对话。
  • Practice the ask out loud — Until it sounds natural, not nervous. 大声练习。

On this page